Author Topic: Hindu Rulers of Kashmir  (Read 13367 times)

Offline Palomares

Re: Hindu Rulers of Kashmir
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »
My congratulations Rajagopal, excellent example of King Avanti varma.
The avanti king was also known by the nickname of Aditya, however, no coins have been read with this name and they have been read with the name Avanti.
For now, I have only seen two varieties of Avanti Varma, one of yours (Sri Avanti) and another with the legend 'Avanti Varma'.
Errors are explained by william William Spengler explains in zeno, number 5104.
I am not saying that there are no coins with the name of Aditya, for now, I have not seen coins with this name.

Greetings to all members of the forum.

Offline Mohit Kaura

« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2021, 04:56:31 PM »
After a long time post a part of my collection.
Nandi Gupta From my collection.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2021, 07:34:34 PM »
Hi Mohit, that's a world class specimen with almost all of the legend on flan. Thanks for showing !
Your specimen even nicely shows the Kalasa pot of Lakshmi at the extreme left edge.
There is a small vertical line between the "Na" and the torso of Lakshmi. I have argued previously that this is a degenerate remnant of what was once part of Lakshmi's arm on the late Toramana coppers. Over multiple generations of the early Kashmir rulers, this arm remnant gradually degenerated to this small line. If i am not mistaken, Nandigupta was the last ruler where one can observe this small vertical line next to Laksmi's waist.

Anthony

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2021, 08:20:30 PM »
Hello Mohit, I completely agree with Anthony, that's a lovely looking example! And thanks for posting.

Anthony that's a very interesting observation which I hadn't noticed before and actually made me look through my collection...You're quite correct, his predecessor Abhimanyu has the line but his successor Tribhuvanagupta hasn't nor do any from Nandigupta onwards...I also find your reasoning very plausible....So thanks.......Paul

Offline Mohit Kaura

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2021, 03:44:00 PM »
hi everyone
one more interesting coin
please share your thoughts

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »
Looks to be a Samgrama (Sangrama) 1003-1028 AD..
Interesting incuse V on the reverse?....But I'm not sure what to make of it?

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2021, 08:59:02 AM »
Style of Mohit Kaura's last shown coin seems to fit with slightly "post-Didda". So around 1000AD.

To the left of Lakshmi a "Sa" probably with a Kalasa to the left of this. Alternatively this could be two characters with the last one being a "Na". But that seems less likely.
To the right of Lakshmi the characters are unfortunately a bit damaged. The first one seems to be a conjunct character starting with Sharada "Na". Hanging below that i first thought of "Bhu". That would make for an interesting very rare possibility of "Sambhuvardhana". But the style of the coin is not compatible with that period. So i think Spaniard is right that it is a somewhat damaged "NGra". To the right of this could wel be a "Ma". So i agree with "Sangrama" being the most likely. Only detail still giving some doubt is that there is something below the "Ma", where this spot normally is empty.

Offline Mohit Kaura

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2021, 03:32:27 PM »
Thanks a lot.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2021, 09:13:35 PM »
Do you agree, or have you considered different possibilities ?

Anthony

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2021, 09:51:58 AM »
An interesting analysis of the coin Anthony thanks....
I did notice the residual marks below the 'ma' and just put this down to damage.. I've since been searching around and here are a few examples with the op coin....Notice the bottom right image, it could be possible that the marks below the 'ma' are the remnants of an elongated lotus stem?...What do you think?...
Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2021, 10:46:37 AM »
Great you assembled some comparison specimen Paul! Also illustrates the slight variations in design in specimen from a single ruler. I think the one in the upper right is double struck. The lower part of Lakshmi is dicontinuous with the upper part. The one in the lower right could surely explain the structure under the "ma". But  i think it would be Lakshmi's knee rather than the end of a lotut stalk.

Anthony

Offline Mohit Kaura

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »
Hello Everyone,
thanks for comments on previous coins.

one more interesting found from my collection,
help in ID

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2021, 05:55:54 PM »
I think this might be a more complex puzzle Mohit.

First, style: that places the coin in the first half of the 10 century. To the left of Lakshmi still is an arm and the vertical line next to the body.
Second, the reverse, because that further gives direction: There is a clear "VaRma" next to the standing king.

These two together focusses our search area to the Duptala dynasty.

At this point i hold for now to give our other members the chance to give their input ?

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2021, 10:51:14 AM »
The ruler I keep going back to is Sankara Varma, if it is it's quite strangely executed but then I've seen some odd Sankara coin legends.
What's making it more complicated to read is the horizontal lines are merging into the body of Lakshmi and possibly with curved la?
I initially was looking at his queen Sughanda but she doesn't have Varma reverse. Very interested in others ideas.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:07:47 AM by Spaniard »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2021, 01:14:07 PM »
Thanks for taking the cahllenge Paul !

I have my doubts whether the bottom hook (yellow in my picture) is actually a part of the character. It might alos be just a spot where the patina has worn off, revealing the metal lower surface of the coin bordering the left top edge of Lakshmi's skirt. That will probably will be easy to tell for Mohit looking at the coin in hand.

Also the part i indicated as green in my picture i can not explain confidently.

For the possible candidates i agree with your suggestion of an atypical Sankara. But what if the initial "Sa" was drawn as a "Sha" as indicated in red in my picture below ?