Author Topic: Hindu Rulers of Kashmir  (Read 14112 times)

Offline soumen

Re: Hindu Rulers of Kashmir
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »
...... One of the specimen shown there is the specimen from Cunningham, also shown in the 1843 publication, and with the spelling "Yaskara". My specimen is not die identical with the Cunningham piece (see below) .......

Definitely your specimen is not die identical with Cunningham piece. To my eyes your specimen is similar with the specimen (see below) shown in the article of C J Rodgers.

....The other one shown by Ken West is also from the British Museum with "Yasaskara". Mr West rightfully hints that Cunningham attributed this coin to the wrong king Yasaskara, as the style is 12th century, not 10th century.

The style definitely closer to post Jayasimha. If so, any views on who can be the possible ruler ????  or any hypothesis ??

I am currently peeping into the  post Kalkana work of Jonaraja (Dvitīyā Rājataraṅginī) by J C Dutt for names. Though it was also written in 15th century, still giving it a try.

Regards
Soumen
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 08:06:07 AM by soumen »
Soumen

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2021, 09:31:58 AM »
Good searching ! My specimen indeed is more similar to the Rodgers piece, but again i would say not die identical. Having at least 4 different dies seems significant and suggests that this was not a ruler who reigned just a very short period.  I do think there will be more of these around, just unrecognized. Showing these examples may help to turn up more !

Anthony

Offline soumen

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2021, 01:22:16 PM »
Help to attribute this one...

Initially thought of Sussala Deva or Sugandha Rani. By style its’ not going with Sussala Deva. The legends are not going well with Sugandha Rani also. Particularly the “U-kar”.  Or this one something else?

Looking for expert opinion....

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2021, 11:19:03 AM »
No direct attribution from me unfortunately. Just some thoughts:

By style i would say this is a coin issued prior to around 950AD.
To the left of Lakshmi is an oblique line. It is difficult to judge whether this is a picture element or the i-matra of "Sri".
To the right of Lakshmi the initial character looks most like a conjunct character. Because of the direct connection of the upper and lower part it seems unlikely that this was an inscription divided over two lines. Also this would be unlike other contemporary types. If it was a two line name something like "SuRa/Varma" would come to mind,
The upper part of the conjunct character most likely is "Sa" A squarish "A" could not appear in a conjunct character.
The lower part of the conjunct character looks most like "Va" In that respect it is important whether the two lines in the bottom right really touch eachother or not. If the lines do not touch than "Na"would be an alternative. But both "Sva" as Sna" are difficult to imagine as initial character of a Kashmir ruler in this period.
If we allow for the possibility that the die maker may have made an error, this could be an incorrectly engraved "Su". But other clues to read the text as "Sugandha" are absent.

Anthony

Offline Palomares

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2021, 09:03:38 PM »
Hi all!
First to congratulate Anthony on the acquisition of him, a true marvel.
It is Sugandha for sure, the Aksara 'Su' is engraved in two ways, this is the least common. There are clear examples where the entire legend is read. There is also a variety of Sussala engraved in the same way.
All the best !

Palomares
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:19:19 PM by Palomares »

Offline soumen

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2021, 09:19:39 PM »
Thanks a lot Anthony and Palomares for the help.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2021, 08:14:53 PM »
Thought I'd share a recent addition to my Hindu Kashmir collection.....For me an 'interesting piece'!...
The coin is of Sussala Deva....Collectors of this series know there are two legend variations referenced, one with 'Sri' the other without, of which I owned both types before this recent acquisition so why did I buy it?...
Well the diagram below shows the two types with breakdown of legend...Note also the trident is held in the left hand..
This new purchase shows the 'Sri' type but as you can see the trident is now being held in the right hand?...

This got me searching and the 4 main reference books show this.....
Cunningham..Only one example 'Plate coin#26' (although he does recognise the 2 types).....Legend without Sri, trident is held in 'Left hand'.
Rodgers....Only example #16, Legend without Sri, trident held in 'Left hand'.
Mitchiner...Only one example Plate coin#190, Legend with Sri, trident held in 'left hand'.
West....2 examples..
First legend without Sri, trident held in 'Left hand'.
Second legend with Sri, trident in 'RIGHT hand'.
Eureka!!...Found one....This then pushed me into searching for this variation---They exist but it seems they are a lot scarcer than the left hand trident...Does anyone have a Sri type with trident in right hand?
As a bonus the new purchase is Ex-William Spengler..I'm very pleased to add this coin to my collection...Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2021, 03:59:04 PM »
Nice series Paul !
And with the different versions of the Sussala coins for me comes the question: "Why" ? Do the different arrangements signify anything ? Are they related to multiple rule periods or multiple mints, or is this variation just random ?

I can imagine that the Spengler provenance is significant for you. He seems to have been the true successor of 19th century Alexander Masson in Kabul in his pursuit of knowledge about the ancient history and coinage of the region. I have a few coins from his collection with his paper envelopes with written notes which show that he really had an eye for details.

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2021, 05:04:30 PM »
Thanks Anthony....
And with the different versions of the Sussala coins for me comes the question: "Why" ? Do the different arrangements signify anything ? Are they related to multiple rule periods or multiple mints, or is this variation just random ?
Good question and as far as I know still not resolved or mentioned in any of the major references..Originally I had my type 1 (without Sri) attributed to his first reign 1112-1120 and type 2 (with Sri) to his second reign 1121-1128....I can't recall why I would do this without some kind of reference?....Maybe it was just a cut and paste from a sellers id?.....As you've said maybe just mint variations with engravers licence thrown in aswell??.....Hopefully someone more in the know will be able to answer this??
Regards Paul

Offline soumen

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
Nice acquisition Paul. I have just missed this variety few days back in an online auction for a split second error. Here is the coin.

Note: Not my coin. Photo taken from auction post.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2021, 07:25:52 PM »
Thanks Soumen,
Sorry you missed out on this example hope you have better luck next time.
It is a nice looking coin and shows us that for sure the 'Deva' follows suit below the trident.
Thanks for sharing this specimen it's great to see another showing different details of the type.
Paul

Offline Rajagopal

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2021, 02:10:39 PM »
Can this one be attributed to Avanti varman? Sri on one side and Ava on other side? Weighs 5.14 grams...Thanks and regards.....Rajagopal.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2021, 11:07:26 AM »
I think you are right, can not think of another alternative.
Top find !

Offline Rajagopal

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2021, 12:03:31 PM »
Thanks a lot THCOINS..  Is Avanti same as Aditya? A post on Zeno mentions both as same ruler...

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2021, 01:01:58 PM »
From the traditional lists and coins  i only know him as Avanti. Perhaps Palomares can give a better anwer on this ?