Author Topic: Afghanistan, AE Falus of Multan mint. Leaf symbol  (Read 656 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Afghanistan, AE Falus of Multan mint. Leaf symbol
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
 Herrli lists these coins in his book on Sikh coins. He suggests that these coins in the name of the Durrani ruler (who was actually reigning in Herat during the period 1233 to 1245, the year of his death, may have been struck at some mint beyond the territory effectively controlled by the Sikhs. Good-style copper coins with Sikh legends were struck at Multan during this period.
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Afghanistan, AE Falus of Multan mint. Leaf symbol
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 07:38:24 PM »
Quite often my response is something like "nice coin". But in honesty this would not have been a coin i could have picked from the box of mixed offers. Now with the story behind it, the coin becomes much more interesting. So i am glad you had the knowledge required to pull this one from oblivion !

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:08:05 AM »
Whitehead listed coins of this type, with a leaf symbol, dated 1231 to 1264 AH and gives this comment in the mint notes for Multan :
"The issues of Mahmud's 2nd reign are restricted to copper. Coins in this metal are plentiful and cover a long series of dates. Multan was taken by the Sikhs in june, AD 1818 /AH 1233, and subsequent money in the name of Mahmud Shah must have been authorized by them"
(illustration = coin n°1164/ Pl XIII-7)

did you notice that at top of your coin, instead of "durduran-i", there is "sikkah", I think ? a variety may be?
The date isn't legible it seems, the coin could well have been struck before or after Mahmud's death ???
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »
It's unfortunate the date is not visible as the part where the date is likely to be is worn away, nevertheless it's an interesting coin, I notice the leaf is in the style used on local Sikh paisa copies of Loharu
Vic