Akbar set, Gorakhpur mint

Started by abhinumis, March 28, 2016, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi all,
Akbar set of dam(19.7gms), Half dam(9.8gms), quarter dam(4.2gms) and 1/8 dam(2.3gms), Dar al khilafat Gorakhpur mint with nasiruddin legend..The mint mark is a inverted crossed heart.. A very rare set!
Do comment.
Dr.Abhishek

Figleaf

Excellent that you got them all together! This will yet be another fine, low threshold reference for collectors.

Have you noticed that the weights are not pro rata? The quarter dam is the most serious out of line and it doesn't look more worn than the others. I wonder if in Mughal times people were already calculating with fixed and variable cost, which could explain the discrepancy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Excellent indeed !
with the 1/12 & 1/24  the set is quite complete :
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,32566.msg205827.html#msg205827

Quote from: Figleaf on March 29, 2016, 09:48:46 PMHave you noticed that the weights are not pro rata? The quarter dam is the most serious out of line and it doesn't look more worn than the others. I wonder if in Mughal times people were already calculating with fixed and variable cost, which could explain the discrepancy.

I notice the same for the "quarter dam" of 3,77g (see thread) and it's the reason why I called it "1/5"  ???
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)