login

Author Topic: Lowest denominations  (Read 4986 times)

Offline mrbadexample

Lowest denominations
« on: March 24, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »
Hi all,

I've had a look through the subjects and haven't found a thread for the lowest denomination of coins, although the fractional threads will almost certainly overlap somewhat.

I've always liked low-value coins (farthings are a favourite), and since my recent acquisition of a British third farthing from 1902 (pictured, issued for use in Malta: a farthing was circulating as the equivalent of three Maltese grains, so the third farthing was issued to provide the Maltese with a coin of one grain value), I've been thinking about diversifying along the lines of the smallest denominations from a variety of countries, e.g. 1 centime from France etc (unless they ever issued anything smaller?)

So how about a few ideas to start me off please? The only rule is that no smaller denomination was issued for circulation in the country.

I realise that Britain also issued quarter farthings for use in Ceylon, but I haven't got one of those yet. This represents one sixteenth of the minor currency unit of a penny. Are there any countries that have a smaller fraction than this?

Thanks for your anticipated input!
Cheers,
MBE  :)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Lowest denominations
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:10:36 PM »
Not so much into modern coinage anymore, but i share your enthusiasm for small denominations. Don't know much about the smallest for different countries, but for the Netherlands the smallest denomination will be the 1/2 cent. Have some of these, but seem not to have any photographed. So here i just add another 1/3 Farthing, i believe from the first year these were issued. The denomination is not written on the coin yet. They still seem to have had some minting problems then, for this one was probably struck on a suboptimal flan and has a clear delamination error on the reverse.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »
You hit a bit of a philosophical problem here. Everything is relative. As you note, the third farthing was the equivalent of a Naples and Sicily grano on Malta. You can see the denomination of a third farthing as one: 1 grano. Just to confuse you: a grano is 6 piccioli, so the grano is not the lowest denomination on Malta. :)

Moreover, everything depends on what you express the denomination in. A shilling, expressed as 1/20th of a pound has a lower denomination than a 1/12th penny, the equivalent in pennies of a third farthing. The half cent TH mentioned is 1/200th of a gulden, beating the third farthing easily, even if you express it in shillings (1/144) unless you express a third farthing in pounds (1/2880).

You probably just meant to concentrate on low weight coppers, as a counterweight to your high weight coppers interest. ;) Maybe you can get some inspiration here. May your collection prosper.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:25:29 AM »
You probably just meant to concentrate on low weight coppers, as a counterweight to your high weight coppers interest. ;) Maybe you can get some inspiration here. May your collection prosper.

Peter

I think you're right. I seem to have a penchant for extremes. :D

I have looked at the smallest coins but can't find any on ebay. :(

Offline mrbadexample

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 02:32:48 AM »
Not so much into modern coinage anymore, but i share your enthusiasm for small denominations. Don't know much about the smallest for different countries, but for the Netherlands the smallest denomination will be the 1/2 cent. Have some of these, but seem not to have any photographed. So here i just add another 1/3 Farthing, i believe from the first year these were issued. The denomination is not written on the coin yet. They still seem to have had some minting problems then, for this one was probably struck on a suboptimal flan and has a clear delamination error on the reverse.

I've just bought a half cent, 1922. :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:06:11 PM by mrbadexample »

Offline mrbadexample

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 03:04:47 PM »
So this arrived today. I have to say I really like it so thanks THCoins for the suggestion - a lovely little coin. :)

Although I do think the Dutch could feed their lions a bit better, this one's so thin you can see its ribs.  :o

Any more suggestions for similar?

Cheers,
MBE

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Nice specimen !
(A hungry lion is much more dangerous than an overfed and overweight one  :D)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
If you want to stick to copper/bronze, I would suggest a French 1 centime coin of the period 1853 - 1920 (several types). They are not too difficult to find and fine examples of the work of the pantograph, as they are charming miniatures of the better known 5 and 10 centimes.

If you prefer a tiny tot coin without larger siblings, try Madras, cash 1803, KM 315. There is a gilt specimen here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:23:41 AM »
Nice specimen !
(A hungry lion is much more dangerous than an overfed and overweight one  :D)

Thanks. It's an amazing amount of detail on such a small coin. :)

Offline mrbadexample

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 01:50:14 AM »
If you want to stick to copper/bronze, I would suggest a French 1 centime coin of the period 1853 - 1920 (several types). They are not too difficult to find and fine examples of the work of the pantograph, as they are charming miniatures of the better known 5 and 10 centimes.

If you prefer a tiny tot coin without larger siblings, try Madras, cash 1803, KM 315. There is a gilt specimen here.

Peter

Cheers Peter. I have been looking at centimes and suspect a small purchase isn't far away.  ;) I've come to the conclusion that size matters - I like these small coins which are usually the lowest values. The Madras cash is a nice piece but a little out of my price range for extra-curricular collecting. :(

There's one on ebay at the moment advertised as "as struck". I'm sorely tempted to ask the seller if it was struck with all the edge knocks.  ::)

Thanks, Jon

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 04:24:45 AM »
A "small coin" that isn't very easy to find is the 1970, 1972 or 1973 Mexico 1 Centavo (KM 418).
13mm and 1.5g.

Not the smallest coin out there but 13mm isn't much and finding one can often take a bit of searching.

Dale

Offline mrbadexample

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 12:33:48 PM »
A "small coin" that isn't very easy to find is the 1970, 1972 or 1973 Mexico 1 Centavo (KM 418).
13mm and 1.5g.

Not the smallest coin out there but 13mm isn't much and finding one can often take a bit of searching.

Dale

Thank you. There seem to be plenty of earlier ones but nothing from the 1970s that I can see. I like the design though so I'll keep an eye out.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
Just handled another 13 mm coin. A Dutch 5 cent of the period 1850 - 1887. Not bronze or copper, though.

Peter

Offline mrbadexample

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:32:12 AM »
Oh, no, far too many cents. :D

I missed out on a Swedish 1/12 skilling tonight, just went for more than I was prepared to pay. Probably because it was a nice one. I thought if I can't have any of their plate coinage I should head the other way. :D

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:02:38 PM »
Here are a pair of the lowest denominations from the Island of Jersey.

One fifty-second of a shilling 1841 copper which later was replaced by one forty-eighth of a shilling 1877 bronze
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.