Author Topic: AE Stater of Queen Sugandha (Kashmir)  (Read 1316 times)

Offline coinlover

AE Stater of Queen Sugandha (Kashmir)
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:48:54 PM »
Queen Sugandha was one of the two hindu queens who ever ruled Kashmir. The other was Queen Didda.

Sugandha’s marriage to Shankaravarman (CE 883-902) of the Utpala dynasty catapulted him to an exalted political status since she belonged to a powerful family. Kalhana’s Rajatarangini, a chronicle of Kashmir’s history from the earliest times to Kalhana’s own time or CE 1148/49, is an important source for Sugandha’s history. It documents her as having accompanied her husband on military expeditions and being a force to reckon with.

On Shankaravarman’s untimely death, she displayed admirable sagacity by concealing the fact of his death till she was ready to take on the guardianship of their young son, Gopalavarman, and rule the kingdom as a regent. She subsequently began to wield formal power as a ruler at the behest of her subjects – a testimony to her popularity. Maintaining herself on the throne by cleverly conciliating varied political groups in court, Sugandha extended her forays into power politics, which resulted in her dethronement. She did, however, make an abortive bid to regain power in 914. One of the two factions which domineered over the country dragged her from her retirement, and advanced against the reigning king. They were defeated ; and the queen, having been taken prisoner, was put to death.

Sugandha’s coinage is an important corroborative evidence of her power and refers to her by the masculine epithet sri sugandha deva.

This is an AE Stater of Sugandha Deva ( 903-905 AD ). Its diameter is 18-19 mm and weight is 5.8 gms.

Obverse: Enthroned Ardoxsho facing; Nagari legend: Sri on left , SuGa(ndha) on right.
Reverse: King standing. Nagari legend: DeVa on right.

Anjan

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:15:13 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: AE Stater of Queen Sugandha (Kashmir)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »
Nice addition to the sett of early Kashmir AE staters you already have Anjan !
In this one it is clear that there is no trace anymore of the lion on which Ardochsho was sitting as on the earlier Toramana II precursor coins. As you say, remarkable that she is referred to as "Deva".
I believe there was a third Hindu queen who ruled Kashmir in her own right for a short time, Kota Rani ? In fact, she was the last Hindu ruler, but i don't think any coinage was issued in her name.

Offline coinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
Thank you Anthony for correcting and enriching my knowledge. Yes Kota Rani was definitely there. Some information about her can be found   here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kota_Rani.

Anjan

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 06:22:23 PM »

Is this same??
:)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »
The characters are a bit crude and glued together, but i can read "SuGa" in it. So i think you are right.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
Thanks Sir for the confirmation.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »
Upgraded my Sugandharani to a slightly better condition one today ...

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »
Took some time, but i finally also managed to get a nicer upgrade for my Sugandha Rani specimen. On this one the largest part of the name is clearly readable on the Lakshmi side.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 12:54:19 AM »
Nice one. Glad to see one with maximum legends so far seen.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
I was actually inspired by your previous upgrade. That put me on the lookout for a specimen with a similar clear legend quality !