News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

New 50 euro banknote

Started by eurocoin, March 16, 2016, 06:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

On June 15, 2016 the European Central Bank holds a meeting for banknote equipment manufacturers (and some other guests) to talk about the introduction of the new 50 euro banknote. Usually the new banknote is being unvealed around 2 weeks after this meeting. It usually takes 10 months between the unveiling event and the date of issuance, which would make that the new 50 euro banknote will be issued in  January 2017. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend :(

eurocoin

On June 4, for the first time banknote manufacturers receive samples of the new 50 euro notes via the national banks. It seems that after the new 50 euro banknote, the ECB is going to take some time as they are planning to introduce the 100 and 200 euro banknotes at the end of 2018. Maybe these notes have additional security features..  ;)

Jostein

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

chrisild

Quote from: Niels on June 01, 2016, 07:26:22 PM
It seems that after the new 50 euro banknote, the ECB is going to take some time as they are planning to introduce the 100 and 200 euro banknotes at the end of 2018. Maybe these notes have additional security features..  ;)

Maybe so, and thinking about whether the security features need to be improved is always a good idea. :) But do you think that those two (new €100 and €200) banknotes will be issued at the same time?

Christian

eurocoin

The design of the new banknote will be unveiled on July 5. The new 50 euro banknote will be issued around March next year. As I have received an invitation from Yves Mersch to be at the unveiling event, I will be at the ECB that day.  :)

chrisild

Cool! Looking forward to your report when you get back from Frankfurt. ;)

Christian

chrisild

Ta-daa, the new design is there. :) The new €50 note will be issued on 4 April 2017. Here is a side-by-side presentation.

The attached image is from that website. What I find interesting that the Croatian version of the ECB abbreviation will make it to the new notes too. The 5, 10 and 20 notes do not have it yet ...

Christian

Edit: link shortened

eurocoin

I am finally back from my trip to the ECB after 2 x 3 hours of driving. It was a very nice experience. The security was extremely strict and at first I wasn't allowed to enter the ECB building as for some reason my name was missing on the list. Luckily after some time this was resolved. There were metal detectors, scanners and dogs. I was surprised to see that the director of the Dutch National Bank, Klaas Knot, was there too together with Ton Roos and some other person that I didn't know. There was a lot of media. They seemed very interested by the fact that such a young person was amongst the crowd. Kudos for the journalist who noticed that the Croatian abbreviation is now on the note too. There was a loud "Tssss" from the ECB employees (of course not just average employees) after he had asked about it. The ECB wasn't happy about another journalist, who dared to ask if he was allowed to ask questions about Brexit instead of about the new note. After the formal part there was a reception ECB style (certainly not frugal :) ). Anyway below 2 photos that I made.

chrisild

The primary question regarding the "ESB" abbreviation should have been why it took so long to add it. Well, maybe the extra space (as we know, the €50 note is not only wider but also higher than the €10 and €20) was needed for that, hehe.

And I am sure some people want to bring the Brexit topic into each an every EU-related event. Except that the "Br-" part indicates that the question would not be about a euro country, and the "-exit" part has not taken place yet. ;D

Thank you for your report! So you spent more time on the road than in Frankfurt? Hope you still found it interesting.

Christian

eurocoin

Quote from: chrisild on July 06, 2016, 11:14:44 AM
Thank you for your report! So you spent more time on the road than in Frankfurt? Hope you still found it interesting.

It was an unique experience and I had some chats with important people that I had never met before so I don't regret having gone to Frankfurt. Regarding the distance, of course I already knew that before I went so certainly no surprise and no reason for me to stay at home. Next time however I will go to Frankfurt by plane.

eurocoin

I have reason to believe that the new 50, 100 and 200 euro banknotes have new secret security features (either covert or forensic).

chrisild

Well informed sources that wish to remain anonymous? ;) Will be interesting to learn more about such new features. But I guess that the €100 and €200 notes are still being "developed" as they won't come until late 2018 ...

Christian

eurocoin

The new 50 euro banknote has been issued today.

New 100 and 200 euro banknotes will be introduced early 2019.

chrisild

More than 1,100 have already been tracked. ;)
http://miuku.net/tmp/first-50e-europa-notes.txt
Well, I don't have any yet. But €50 is not what I would get in change ...

Christian