News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coin production techniques and machines

Started by Figleaf, June 09, 2009, 11:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

A final note on the story. It is quite euro-centric. I thought about incorporating Indian hammering and Chinese casting techniques, but feared I didn't know enough about it. I just touched on main developments, going into detail only in the juicy case of Marx Schwab. There is much, much more to say about minting, but I wasn't out to write a magazine article.

The thread gives the impression that almost all inventions were made after say 1780. However, you can easily see from the coins shown on this site that the difference in artistry and execution between early medieval coins and late renaissance coins is enormous. The developments just weren't in machinery.

Please add to this thread as you see fit. I have followed a loose chronological order, but any order will do just fine. Thanks to AJG who contributed already.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

A small adddition. In conductng my research I found the Royal Mint(UK)  used a canneluring machine to produce the edge markings on Maria Theresa thalers.  Up to the point of finding this out I had always associated canneluring machines with rifle ammunition.

Salvete

Dear Figleaf,

We have all seen pictures of old minting techniques, of course, but I have never seen such a complete description so well explained  or with so many good illustrations of the development of the process itself.  Many thanks for this useful and interesting set of posts.

Well done, and keep up the good work.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Figleaf

I couldn't resist adding an advertising medal with a splendid knuckle lever coin press from the collection of capnbirdseye. The whole medal is presented here

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Aernout

From the "Monnaie de Bruxelles" 1910.

Token of the "open house days" of the Royal Mint of Bruxelles

The past and present day (anno 1910  ;D)

mvg,
Aernout
Start small to end magnificent - Start klein om groots te eindigen.

Figleaf

I believe there are two different metals/dates of this medal. I have spent quite a bit of time staring at the machine on the "today" side. It may be a planchet cutting machine. Not sure, though.

Peter

malj1

Here is a set of postcards from the Royal Mint c1911. #11 fits the image in the coin above.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

4 more
Malcolm

malj1

last 4
Malcolm

malj1

The wrapper show details of postcards sold in aid of the Royal Mint Provident Society, price one shilling.
Malcolm

chrisild

Quote from: Aernout on February 02, 2012, 09:41:40 PM
Token of the "open house days" of the Royal Mint of Bruxelles

The past and present day (anno 1910  ;D)

Hmm, why did that look familiar to me? Ah yes. :) Voilà, the Dutch language version:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,11738.0.html

Christian

Figleaf

Yes, that is a coin press as Malcolm shows in his picture Epa916.jpg above. Note that there are 25 years between the French and the Dutch version.

Peter

Aernout

Start small to end magnificent - Start klein om groots te eindigen.