Author Topic: Quack?  (Read 521 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Quack?
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
PE is presumably Phonographic Equipment, together with its predecessors, successors and subsidiaries a source of many UK tokens in the decades after WW2.

But what is the "Duck Shoot" referred to? I can't envisage how tokens might be used by wealthy gentlemen in tweeds brandishing 12-bores on the moors, so I presume the duck shoot is a virtual one of some kind - clay, er, pigeons or some form of amusement arcade game. Can anyone shed any light?

Brass, 21,1 mm, 5,00 g; rotation approx 45 degrees.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Quack?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »
Duck shoot is a fairground game in which wooden ducks are towed across the length of the "tent". Customers shoot at them with (doctored) rifles. When a duck is hit, it falls over, scoring points for the rifleman. This is probably for an automatic version.

A drunken sailor was playing duck shoot by turning around, putting the rifle on his shoulder and shooting blind. He hit three ducks with three shots. The owner of the tent offered him a turtle as a prize. After some time, the drunken sailor came back and did the same thing. This time, he was offered a floor lamp. The sailor reacted that this is of no use on a ship but said he'd be happy with another filled biscuit.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »
Ducky!  ;)

A similar amusement machine game.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
Thank you! Confirms my guess.