2 (15.4%)
Design - D
2 (15.4%)
Design - E
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 21, 2016, 12:35:57 PM

Bimat

Central Bank of Malta will issue two commemorative €2 coins this year. The theme for the first coin is "Prehistoric temples in Malta: Ggantija temples" (see here), while the second coin has the theme "Solidarity through Love". From Central Bank's website:

A €2 commemorative coin which will feature the winning design of a schoolchildren competition having the theme of 'Solidarity through Love'. The competition will be open from Monday 29 February till Friday 11 March. The coins will be issued in rolls of 25 coins each as well as individually in coin cards, with the latter having a mint mark. The proceeds from the sale of the coin cards will be donated to the Malta Community Chest Fund.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

5 designs have now been shortlisted and Maltese secondary school students are now allowed to vote.

http://www.centralbankmalta.org/en/children-coin-competition

Bimat

Quote from: Niels on February 29, 2016, 08:17:32 PM
5 designs have now been shortlisted and Maltese secondary school students are now allowed to vote.

http://www.centralbankmalta.org/en/children-coin-competition

Thanks! Posting the shortlisted designs for posterity. ;)

Coin to be issued in November 2016.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Created a poll to see what members think. Voting open for a week. :)

Aditya

augsburger

I voted for the last one. I think B, the one with hands is the best drawn one, but when it comes to making it into a coin the drawing skills will disappear and then I don't think it'll look very good.

Bimat

Since hardly anyone voted in the poll ;), I have extended the voting period further by one month.

Aditya

Figleaf

The theme doesn't appeal to me. I find it superficial to mix up two emotions of a different level. I am further put off by two of the designs that mix it with heraldry, the road to ugly nationalism.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Further specifications of the coin:

eurocoin

Prime! The wining design is design B. This design was made by Sarah Cilia. In total 168 designs were submitted.

The design shows hands that together form a heart in which the Maltese flag is depicted. There are rings around the arms which have been formed out of the logo of the Community Chest Fund of Malta. One of the hands symbolizes all of the Maltese generations.

Bimat

Prize-giving ceremony for the design of a coin 'Mit-tfal b'Solidarjetà'

11/04/2016

Her Excellency Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca, President of Malta presided over a prize-giving ceremony of a competition organised by the Central Bank of Malta in collaboration with the Malta Community Chest Fund. The ceremony marks the first design of a social responsibility coin programme involving students in all secondary schools, with the theme: 'Mit-tfal b'Solidarjetà'. The winning design will be represented on a €2 commemorative coin to be issued by the Central Bank of Malta through coin cards and commemorative coin rolls and will be available for sale later this year. The proceeds from the sale of the coin cards will go to the Malta Community Chest Fund.

Professor Josef Bonnici, Governor of the Central Bank of Malta said that "the Central Bank of Malta is pleased to be associated with the Malta Community Chest Fund on the initiative, 'Mit-tfal b'Solidarjetà'. While the programme offers children the opportunity to express themselves artistically on the chosen themes, it also provides them with awareness towards the less fortunate members of society".

President Coleiro Preca thanked the Governor and the Central Bank of Malta for coming up with this initiative, for tying it to the theme of 'Love' and for involving the children in this process adding that "the fact that the Central Bank of Malta has asked children to visualize what love is for them is a strong statement, because children are our present and our future and they can lead us adults by example".

The President reiterated her appeal to the children to always love each other and "to always remind us adults that we should love each other, even if we may have different opinions at times. Our country can truly move forward and can truly provide you with a sound future if we all are united. It is when we harness the true meaning of the value of love, that we can then be able to harness other values such as the value of solidarity."

A total of 168 submissions were presented for this competition, which was also coordinated by the Ministry for Education and Employment. The winning design was submitted by Sarah Louise Cilia and the runners-up were Mia Gauci, Luana Zahra, Rachel Callus, Claria Cutajar.

Source: Central Bank of Malta (Press Release)

Bimat

Just wondering: What prize did Sarah Louise Cilia get? :) ;)

If I were the bank official, I would have offered her the Maltese BU sets of next (say) 5 years as prize... 8)

Aditya

augsburger

If this was a school competition, they'll probably give a prize to the school rather than the person who actually did it/

eurocoin

Many thanks to our member Jostein, owner of the website World Bimetallic Coin News (http://www.worldbcnews.com/) ,for making this great image.  :like:

Bimat

The coin will be issued on December 5. Mintage: 350,000 (UNC, in 14,000 rolls) and 30,000 (BU, in coin card with special mint mark of Paris mint).

Aditya

poccio1

Quote from: Bimat on November 24, 2016, 09:58:20 AM
The coin will be issued on December 5. Mintage: 350,000 (UNC, in 14,000 rolls) and 30,000 (BU, in coin card with special mint mark of Paris mint).

Official information from Malta the coin from CoinCard is UNC (Circolanti) quality.