Author Topic: Indo French / Indo Dutch doudou - Identification  (Read 517 times)

Offline Gavema

Indo French / Indo Dutch doudou - Identification
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:51:58 AM »
This coin is mentioned as Indo French Pondichery Mint 1/2 Doudou. Actually,this type of Kali figure coin is attributed to Dutch, when they were occupying Pondichery. I have one coin of this type, reverse of which has the script PUDUCHERY in Tamil.

I am not sure about the orientation of the reverse of this coin. Reverse side has a dotted border kind of thing with some circle or C (in reverse direction) shaped figure and some leaf kind of design above it.

It will be useful for all, if some expert here can confirm whether this type of Dutch occupied Pondichery coin exists and decipher the reverse side.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Indo French / Indo Dutch doudou - Identification
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
I suspect that this is a coin of Negapatnam, perhaps KM 25. Turn the lower picture 90 clockwise and you will see the remnants of two characters of the name. Please state weight for a full identification.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Gavema

Re: Indo French / Indo Dutch doudou - Identification
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »
Thanks a lot, Peter. I checked the Nagapattanam coins for reference. In those coins, the dotted circle is closer to the letters, whereas in this one the dotted circle is slightly away from the perceived letter. Still, I think I should agree with you.