Author Topic: Coin Identification  (Read 4307 times)

Offline jacob

Coin Identification
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:19:01 PM »
Hi there, I'm new here and not very good with coins - I inherited a coin collection and just recently made a list of it all to see whats there. Apparently the collection isn't worth much, but theres a few interesting coins that I was wondering if anyone would help provide more info about:

[1]
This is my oldest coin dated at 1817. I have absolutely no idea at its value, it looks like it says 'half pence' but then a lot of the writing seems to be latin.

Front-right reads: H -or- N -or- M (one of) AL (missing char) Y PENSE
Front-left reads: "HONI-SOIT" or very similar
Back: "GEOR:III DG BRITT:REX:F:D 1817"
I have 3 pennies dated 1890,1860 and 1862 in very poor condition which makes it surprising (to myself anyway) that this coin is in such good condition.
What also puzzles me is the rings attached to it?

[2]
This is probably a very common coin, but I dont know anything about it - were they used as currency or just as a 'souvenir'?

I have three of these, all dated 1965.

[3]
This coin is dated 1908. The front says '25 Cen' and the back says 'KONINKRIJK' and 'BELGIE' so at a rough guess, Belgium?

I realise these coins probably arent particularly valuable but was just interested.
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:13:24 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coin Identification
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »
Hello Jacob,

Glad you joned us. If you have more coins for id, please put them in separate threads, so they can be filed on the appropriate board.

Picture 1, North-East: Great Britain, 0.925 silver 3 pence 1889. Obv: portrait left of queen Victoria for the 50th jubilee of her reign, but used in several consecutive years. VICTORIA DEI GRATIA BRITT:REGINA F:D: - Victoria by the grace of god queen of Britain, defender of the faith. The latter title refers to her position as head of the Anglican church. Rev: crowned denomination between date in wreath of oak.

South-West: Great Britain, 0.925 silver 6 pence 1816. Obv: portrait right of king George III. GEOR:III:D:G:   BRITT:REX:F:D - George III by the grace of god king of Britain defender of the faith. Rev.: crowned arms of Great Britain in order of the garter marked HONI SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE - shame on those who think badly of it. The arms are (1) and (4) three lions passant gardant (England), (2) a climbing lion in border (Scotland) and (3) Brian Boru's harp (Ireland)

South-East: British Carribean Territories, Eastern Group (an administrative colonial unit in Central America and the Carribbean) 5 cents 1955-65 (date below ship). Obv: crowned portrait of queen Elizabeth II. Rev: Ship (Golden Hind, the ship of Sir Francis Drake) between denomination.

North-West: Ceylon, copper or bronze cent 1870-1945 (date below palm tree). Obv: crowned portrait with titles, reverse: palm tree (cocos nucifera) in rope circle.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:36:46 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »

The very epitome of a coin that most of us have too many of, and complain thereof that should have never been created in the first place.  But a very important commemorative, worthy, yet unrefined and ugly.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline jacob

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:43:04 PM »
hey thanks heaps to all esp. figleaf/peter for your very indepth and surprisingly accurate identification of all the coins in that first picture.

was there a value associated with the churchill coins at release?

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
Yep, that is a crown, ie. 5 shillings; in the decimal system it would be 25 pence. (Side note: Nowadays the UK issues coins of the same size but with a face value of 5.) And whether the Churchill Crown is "ugly" ... well, seems to me that this has become a running gag. Except for the font, I actually like it.

Christian

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
The Churchill commemorative crown was historic in a way: it was the first British coin depicting someone who was NOT a monarch.

The coin with center hole is indeed Belgian with Dutch (Flemish) legends. The initials are those of king Leopold II. Designer : A Michaux

Bart