Author Topic: DND Flyway Brass Token  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
DND Flyway Brass Token
« on: February 20, 2016, 07:22:10 AM »
DND stands for Delhi Noida Direct Flyway. This toll bridge connects Delhi to Noida over the Yamuna River.

Presently, the toll fee for cars is Rs. 28.00. Since this is a very busy road, there are long ques at the Toll Plaza. In order to ease the problem, the attendants at the Toll Plazas collect the cash from the waiting cars and issue them a Brass Token. When you reach the Toll Plaza booth, you just have to hand over the metal token to the Booth Operator and he immediately opens the barrier, thus saving a lot of time.

So for a very brief period of time, this metal token has a cash value of Rs. 28.00

Brass Metal, both reverse and obverse common design.

Abhay
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:40:00 AM by Abhay »
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
DND Flyway Brass Token
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »
Interesting! This idea is worth trying in Mumbai too. Will save lot of money and fuel...8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: DND Flyway Brass Token
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:12 AM »
When labour is cheap, this is the better solution. In a number of European countries with toll roads, labour is too expensive. The solution is a device (in the picture, it is marked Vinci) you are supposed to stick on the upper part of the windshield. It is read as you pass the toll gate. As long as you slow down to 30km/h you don't have to stop. The device is scanned as you pass the toll gate, the toll calculated and deducted from your bank account. The main disadvantage of the device is that they are vulnerable to theft. Maybe these devices should be counted as tokens? ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 11:02:10 AM »
Here we don't need to slow down but continue at 100kph

Melbourne has two toll road operators - Transurban who manage CityLink (parts of M1, M2 and Batman Avenue) and ConnectEast who manage EastLink (part of M3).

There are no toll booths on Melbourne's toll roads. Collection of tolls is done automatically, without slowing down or stopping. At each toll point, vehicles pass under a gantry which is fitted with both communication scanners and cameras.

If a motorist has fitted a small electronic tag to the windscreen of their vehicle, the gantry scanner communicates with that tag to register usage of the toll road to the motorist's toll account.

For vehicles not fitted with electronic tags, overhead cameras use number plate recognition technology to identify the vehicle for billing purposes.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
DND Flyway Brass Token
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »
You have to wonder why the toll for cars is ₹28 and not ₹30 (or ₹25, but that's something toll companies won't like). Do they also have lots of change to give each car driver ₹2 or do they give unofficial currency of India i.e. eclairs? ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
At DND, you also have the facility to purchase pre-paid cards. There are separate lanes dedicated for these pre-paid cards.

For the Silver Pass, you have to stop the car at the Toll Booth, and just touch your card to the card scanner.

For the Gold card, the barrier opens automatically without stopping the car. Although I have not seen the Gold card, but I presume that it must be something like what Peter is talking about.

The Gold and silver cards are mostly used by the daily commuters, but for someone using this road once in a while, the Cash payment is the only option.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »
You have to wonder why the toll for cars is ₹28 and not ₹30 (or ₹25, but that's something toll companies won't like). Do they also have lots of change to give each car driver ₹2 or do they give unofficial currency of India i.e. eclairs? ;)

Aditya

Yes, they do keep a lot of change. The Toll rate on this road is a very big issue. Many protest march have taken place to make this toll road free.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
hello
in France for the society "Escota" if you want loose your hairs look the tarifs

http://www.vinci-autoroutes.com/fr/system/files/pdf/2016/01/tarifs_escota_1er_fevrier_2016.pdf

Gerard

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
You don't even need an electronic tag to take road toll payments. Here it is done by ANPR (automatic number plate recognition). I drive through the congestion charge boundary, a camera takes a picture of my number plate and every month I get an electronic invoice in my bank account for the passages made the previous month. Apart from a sign telling you where the camera is and what the current charge is (it varies from 0 to 22 kronor/passage depending on time of day and day of week) there are no special installations on the road network and no need to slow down (though if you are doing 100 through any of the cameras you may get yourself a speeding fine, given that the maximum on any of the affected roads is 80).

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
DND Flyway Brass Token
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »
You don't even need an electronic tag to take road toll payments. Here it is done by ANPR (automatic number plate recognition). I drive through the congestion charge boundary, a camera takes a picture of my number plate and every month I get an electronic invoice in my bank account for the passages made the previous month.

Well, let me remind you that ours is still a developing country ;) In Mumbai, there are separate lanes for ETC Tag holders but I have seen very few people using it...

Aditya

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »
Well, let me remind you that ours is still a developing country ;) In Mumbai, there are separate lanes for ETC Tag holders but I have seen very few people using it...

Yes, I realise that - my comment was more in response to Malcolm's description of the Australian system.

Actually in a country like India I don't think it's the technology that's the bar to implementing a less labour-intensive system. Many countries in a much less advanced position than India have after all introduced comprehensive mobile phone coverage, after all. The Swedish system is predicated on every car owner having a bank account that is linkable to their ownership of the car in question. I suspect the number of people without bank accounts at all in India is relatively high, and I also suspect that it would be harder to trace and find a given motorist after the event if they don't pay, so a system where you get a bill afterwards just wouldn't work.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 10:02:49 PM »
Nice token. Abhay, what is the diameter of the DND Flyway token, in millimetres?

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
Nice token. Abhay, what is the diameter of the DND Flyway token, in millimetres?

Sorry for the delay in answering the query, as I have misplaced the earlier token somewhere with my coins. Got another one just two days back.

The weight is 17.43 Grams and the Diameter is 33.71 mm.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 05:46:09 AM »
UAE, specifically Dubai, has somewhat similar system. People need to register their car regd no & mobile no, buy a one-time toll sticker (called SALIK card) that is stuck on car windscreen, buy SALIK recharge online or via cards to top up balance and pass to-fro freely on roads. An SMS message records each time a car crosses SALIK toll and informs remaining balance. A reminder SMS requests top-up when balance gets low. A message is also received via SMS when a car passes toll-gate with no balance and there is grace period of 5 days within which to top-up with no fines/penalties.

Very convenient and hassle-free system !
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 06:55:50 AM »
I like the idea of an SMS message and especially the reminder SMS when the balance is low.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.