Linked Events

• Dag van de Munt (Utrecht, NL): June 13, 2009

Author Topic: Dag van de Munt 2009  (Read 2005 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Dag van de Munt 2009
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
On Saturday 13 June the Royal Dutch Mint (KNM) opens it premises in downtown Utrecht again. The "Dag van de Munt" starts at 9 in the morning; admission is free but expect long lines if you want to buy any of the special mint products (roll packages etc.). If you do not plan to buy any of those, coming at noon or in the early afternoon would be better. Several dealers will have booths or tents there, you can see mint workers and designers at work, there are special programs for kids, and and and ...

This year's guest of honor is the Austrian Mint. For more information (in Dutch) have a look here:
http://nl.knm.nl/domains/default/pages/content.asp?content=11720000000977_2_10000000001651&contentcode=dag_van_de_munt_2009

Christian
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:36:38 PM by chrisild »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Dag van de Munt 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
Even at noon, the lines are longer than I can bear. Are you planning to come?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:46:46 AM »
What kind of special programs for children,Christian?I'll be interested in those :D
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »
What kind of special programs for children,Christian?I'll be interested in those :D
Aditya,
There is a special program for children where they can learn how coins are made, and even will be able to partake in the process.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
Right, children can learn how to counterfeit coins there. ;D Look how the invitation says "Come make your own coin" and the boy holds a 2 piece in his hands: http://nl.knm.nl/domains/knm/content//dvdm-2009-coinkids2.jpg

Just kidding of course. The program for "Coin Kids" is here http://nl.knm.nl/domains/knm/pages/article.asp?content=11720000000982_999_11650000000011 (in Dutch); you can make your own "piece", watch how real euro coins are minted, have your photo taken and put on a medal, visit the Money Museum with lots of interactive displays ... Much of that can be seen and done by adults too :) but they do have special tours, talks and activities for children.

The Day of the Mint is from 9.00 until 16.00; the Coin Kids program starts at 13.00 h. The mint building is at Leidseweg 90, fairly close to the train station (Utrecht Centraal); you can take the tram or bus, or just walk. If you take your car, parking at Jaarbeursplein would be the easiest thing to do.

Don't know for sure yet whether I can go. Yes, I would like to, but I won't know until Monday ...

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
This may be part of a tribal war around what the museum should be. On the left, there is a group whose heyday is now past that wanted the museum to shake off those coins and be about money, not as coins and banknotes but as an abstraction. It would be mainly for kids and about how (not) to spend it, what people think about it and what it does to people. On your right, there is a group that wanted the museum to be a scientific institute, centered around coins. In the middle are a few guys with blue helmets. The left is now retreating before a slow advance of the right :)

Symbol of this tribal war was an old coin press. It was always very popular and used to allow visitors to strike souvenir medals. The left moved it out of sight. It is back in sight now and I presume it will be used for the kids to show how money is made.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 02:36:41 PM »
countrefeiting coins would definitely be incredible experience :D Adults aren't allowed to have their own coins? :P (It also depends on whom you call adult,though >:D )
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »
Not sure what the "kids at heart" will be able to do, in terms of minting. ;) Will see. And that also means, "will be there". Anybody else?

Oh, and those rotten railway construction people ... The connection between Amsterdam and the Ruhr "city" is currently being upgraded, which is fine, but that means no direct trains from where I am to Utrecht on that weekend. And having to change trains a couple of times, nah. Will thus be the car.

(Edit) If you want to know which booth is where, you can now view or download the "map" for this year's DvdM here:
http://nl.knm.nl/domains/knm/content/dag_vd_munt_2009_plattegrond.pdf

Christian
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:41:04 AM by chrisild »