Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 1834 times)

Offline nembiak

Game of Thrones
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
This may not be everyone's cup of tea but I actually like these. I received them as gifts from a friend who has no knowledge about coins and would much prefer them rather than some fantasy set from Palestine/Kurdistan/etc. Also, I might be biased as I'm a huge fan of the show.  ;D

Silver coin of the Faceless Man

Square coin from the Iron Bank of Braavos

Warrior's "Honor" of Volantis

The Iron Bank of Braavos coin certainly looks inspired by this Bactrian coin:
http://coinindia.com/MIG246.B18-560.3.jpg

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:42:43 PM by nembiak »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
The Volantis reverse reminds me of James Brooke's first coin. He didn't use a crown and his face appeared only on later issues, though. :)

Haven't watched tv in ages (eye problem), but a show that honours Bactria (it looks like a Greco-Indian coin to me) can't be all bad ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline nembiak

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »
You are right, Peter. It is an Indo-Greek coin - I loosely and perhaps inaccurately used the term "Bactria".  :-X

It's a shame that you're unable to watch the Game of Thrones. It's one of the better shows out there - it's loosely based on the English War of the Roses and there's even a group of Hun/Scythian like people with dragons! The show's based on a series of books, so you might be interested in that or the audio books. 

In the meantime, you might enjoy this showdown between James Brooke and the skull of Volantis:

;D

Jerry

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
Sandokan would have enjoyed that showdown also. :D

Which reminds me that there are tokens of a Sandokan plantation. Have you ever seen them?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline nembiak

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
Wow! Never knew about Sandokan - I've always wanted an animation of Kipling's The Man Who Would be King so I'll probably be streaming the Sandokan animation if I can find an English stream of it.   ;D

Are you referring to the Sandakan Tobacco Plantation tokens? I've seen them but oddly enough they're not as popular here as they are in continental Europe. A recent European auction had a brass 50 cents piece (they're usually copper) but someone else must've spotted it as it went well over its estimated price.  :'(

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 03:51:27 PM »
The European interest in the Sandakan tokens may be due to the RAI television series, as it was wildly popular in many European countries. It was genuinely different from the normal stuff. It also featured a sympathetic Portuguese and a British villain (none other than James Brooke.)

Good news for "The man who would be king". The film was made in 1975 and Sean Connery was just excellent. I still remember the scene that explained how polo was invented...

Peter

Offline nembiak

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:25:08 AM »
That explains why Sandokan never took off here. Sarawakians tend to look upon the White Rajahs quite favourably and I don't think they (or at least myself) would be too keen on a villainised James Brooke. :P

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
Even during his lifetime, Brooke was villainised in Britain. Some of it had to do with (anti-)colonial policy, some of it was connected with his wars against those he had "replaced" as ruler. He had his European defenders also, though. The discussion was not about his achievements, such as peace and rule of law, though. It was mostly about power and how he got it.

Peter