News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

JUDAEA Porcius Festus

Started by Andy289, February 03, 2016, 06:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy289

I collect coins for long time but never ancient coins. As some may already know I am focused on modern Israeli coins and now I want to learn more about ancient coins from this region. Already spent some time reading "Rogers, A handy guide to Jewish coins" but I am not really safe in this collect area because the lack of experience. How often ancient coins from ebay are fakes? Would you recommend a specific dealer of ancient coins?

For example this Porcius Festus looks genuine for you?

THCoins

I do not know much on the subject of this cointype. But the proverb says "trust the coin or trust the dealer". If i look at the seller on ebay, he has got good feedback, is a licenced Israeli seller and also warns that he has to obtain an export certificate for all the coins he exports. That sounds OK. For the modest cost i would be willing to take the risk, but it is your money !

Figleaf

I support that view. The cost is low and there are no obvious warning signs. You are doing your homework with Rogers. There's not much more you can do. Once you have the coin in hand, maybe you can have an expert look at it. If they say it's good, move the seller up on your list of trusted dealers.

If he turns out to be a good guy, a direct contact with the seller may help and be profitable to both of you, since it avoids eBay costs and gives you access to the seller's stock.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Andy289

That's exactly what I thought, the price is reasonable for me to take the risk and learn more about such coins. Thanks for the confirmation.