Author Topic: New Commemorative Issue: 2016: Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Coming to Vrindavan  (Read 4078 times)

Offline betterphilately.com

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
This coin has been under consideration for some time now, but is now confirmed to be released.

A set of 2 coins, Rs 500 and Rs 10 will be released to celebrate 500th Anniversary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's Coming to Vrindavan. The coins will depict an image of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and the year 2015 will be inscribed on both sides of the image (in Devanagiri and English). Additionally, the text, 500th Anniversary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's Coming to Vrindavan will also be written in Devanagiri and English.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:11:31 AM by dheer »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: New Commemorative: Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Coming to Vrindavan
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
This image is doing rounds for quite some time
Can not certify its correctness

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »
Nope. This is not the design.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:35 AM »
That's correct. This is just some guy on Facebook posting random designs. It was indicated earlier as well that the Dr. Ambedkar coin design was also found to be incorrect. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's picture might be a commonly seen one, like was on a 1986 postage stamp as well, but nothing else seems to be accurate. Like explained in the first post of this thread, the inscriptions on the coin are entirely different than the one on the Facebook guy's image. The coin will read 500th Anniversary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's Coming to Vrindavan. The year 2015 will be written on both sides of the Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's image as well. Let's patiently wait for the coin release to get the accurate image and additional details.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
New Commemorative: Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Coming to Vrindavan
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:55:12 AM »
What is the significance of this occasion I wonder? OK, we have a right wing government at center and many other states too, but the theme doesn't make any sense to me. They could have issued commemorative coins on Rio Olympics (like many other countries) instead...

(By the way, I have been to Mathura and Vrindavan. Nice places, both :))

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:03:00 AM »
What is the significance of this occasion I wonder? OK, we have a right wing government at center and many other states too, but the theme doesn't make any sense to me. They could have issued commemorative coins on Rio Olympics (like many other countries) instead...

(By the way, I have been to Mathura and Vrindavan. Nice places, both :))

Aditya

So if I understand correctly; you all other themes made sense to you  ;D ;D

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:06:24 AM »
So if I understand correctly; you all other themes made sense to you  ;D ;D

;D Indeed not! ;D But it's beyond my comprehension why such commemorative coins are needed when people don't care / know about it. 1965 War victory coin for example is really good idea, people know about the war. Ambedkar on coin is OK too (although he has appeared on coins before). Priorities...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 10:50:16 AM »
What is the significance of this occasion I wonder?

According to a historian friend of mine, Vridavan was a lost city.
500 years back, Chaitanaya Mahaprabhu from Bengal came and identified a place near Mathura as the place where Lord Krishna was born and spent his childhood.

There are many others who think that Lord Krishna was a mythological person.
The same goes for Lord Rama where a place has been identified as his birth place ( "Shri Ram Janambhoomi"), a disputed place. Again, many believe that Lord Rama was a mythological person.

Every thing depends on strength of belief of believers.

Gazette notification number 63 of 28th January 2016 issued for the coin.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
As I said before, I have been to both Mathura and Vrindavan. One of the most famous place in Vrindavan is Banke Bihari Temple. This is perhaps the most crowded temple I have visited so far. The crowd was just unmanageable when we went there! I couldn't even dare to enter inside the temple. Our Vrindavan visit was followed by Fatehpur Sikri, perhaps the most memorable trip I have had so far within India! 8)

Vrindavan is also famous for its Lassi. :)

(Forget about sanitation and all :D)

Wouldn't be surprised if commemorative coins are issued with Ayodhya theme too... ;)

Aditya

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
As I said before, I have been to both Mathura and Vrindavan. One of the most famous place in Vrindavan is Banke Bihari Temple. This is perhaps the most crowded temple I have visited so far. The crowd was just unmanageable when we went there! I couldn't even dare to enter inside the temple. Our Vrindavan visit was followed by Fatehpur Sikri, perhaps the most memorable trip I have had so far within India! 8)

Vrindavan is also famous for its Lassi. :)

(Forget about sanitation and all :D)

Wouldn't be surprised if commemorative coins are issued with Ayodhya theme too... ;)

Aditya

Well that depends on the time and day of the week you visit the temple. Normally, on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) it is very much crowded. Also, on the festive seasons, it is crowded.

But on a normal week day, the crowd in not much. Also, for the general information of all the visitors, there is a provision of "SPECIAL DARSHAN" where you can officially buy a darshan Ticket by paying Rs. 100 and go inside the cage just in front of the Idol.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 02:48:26 AM »
Hoping Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi releases this coin on 21 Feb at Kolkata. The inaugural event to celebrate centenary of Gaudiya Mission is scheduled to be held in Kolkata on this date. Gaudiya Mission propagates the message of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »
This coin has finally been released today, 25 Nov 2016 by Secretary in the Ministry of Culture. More details and pictures awaited.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
Commemorative coins on Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s visit to Vrindavan released

TNN | Nov 25, 2016, 06.26 PM IST

CHENNAI: Union culture secretary Narendra Kumar Sinha on Friday released a commemorative non-circulation Rs 500 coin and a Rs 10 circulation coin as part of the yearlong celebrations marking the 500th anniversary of Hindu saint and social reformer Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's visit to Vrindavan.

The Centre is organising various programmes and exhibitions on Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's life and teachings in association with Vrindavan Research Institute and ISKCON.

Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu was a distinguished promoter for the Vaishnava School of Bhakti Yoga. The Bhakti movement initiated by him strove to eradicate the evils of caste and feudal systems in medieval India.

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu propagated the worship of Shri Krishna and popularised the chanting of "Hare Krishna Mantra" to all without any discrimination.

In 1515, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu visited Vrindavan with the objective of locating the lost holy places associated with Lord Krishna's transcendent pastimes. It is believed that through his intuitive powers, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu was able to locate all the places associated with Lord Sri Krishna and restore the pristine purity of the religious practices of the yore, according to an official statement.

Source: Times of India

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
Re: New Commemorative Issue: 2016: Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Coming to Vrindavan
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »
Bookings open from Kolkata mint.

Offline idiotghost

Re: New Commemorative Issue: 2016: Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Coming to Vrindavan
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
Booked this coin & unnecessarily paid payment gateway charges! Has anyone got this set already delivered? Thanks