News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The Netherlands 2017: 150th Anniversary of the Red Cross

Started by eurocoin, March 06, 2017, 12:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

In June the Netherlands is going to issue a 5 euro collectors coin to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Red Cross.

eurocoin

Pre-sale will start on May 16. First strike ceremony will be held on the Day of the Mint, the open day of the Royal Dutch Mint on June 10.

eurocoin

eurocoin

And the design.. obverse and reverse are the same. On the proof edition one of the crosses is coloured red.

Bimat

Are you kidding me?!? ???

This has to be the first coin with exactly the same obverse and reverse?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

Looks odd to me too. I got used to the fact that, for example, Swiss collector coins always have the very same obverse. But this is even lazier ... Maybe that is why the king does not smile here. ;)

Christian

chrisild

Quote from: eurocoin on May 16, 2017, 09:17:02 AM
On the proof edition one of the crosses is coloured red.

Note that the color is not "government official" but something that the mint added. Much like what they did with the Oranje Geluksdubbeltje ... "Deze uitgifte maakt onderdeel uit van het onder verantwoordelijkheid van de Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt samengestelde assortiment; kleuraccenten zijn niet in opdracht van de Staat aangebracht."

Christian

eurocoin

Some further information about the concept behind the design:

The fact that both sides of the coin are identical is part of the concept. It reflects the fact that the Red Cross doesn't choose sides. The crosses on the globe together form a closed pattern of crosses, this symbolises the unity of the Red Cross. Furthermore the font of the lettering on the coin is of Swiss origin which refers to the link between the Red Cross and Switzerland (but I am sure everyone had already noticed that). 

chrisild

The way the crosses are "spread" and still form a network I actually like. Also, somewhere I read that the position of the one white (or red) cross somehow reflects the position of the Netherlands on the globe ... not sure but made some sense to me. But the fact that a designer can explain to me why both sides are identical does not really change my opinion about the two identical sides. ;)

Yes, I saw the note about the font here. Again, the artist may have picked that very typeface with a good reason. But at least for me the characters do not, hmm, stand out. That is, I would not look at the piece and ask myself, hey, what font is that - and why was it chosen here? Just my two cents ... or €5, hehe.

Christian

Figleaf

I am thinking in the same direction. I appreciate symbolism on the restricted place of a coin, but symbols that have to be explained at length before they can be understood fail to communicate, so they fall flat. Nevertheless, the design is more acceptable to me now that it has been explained.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.