News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Egyptian Tokens with Arabic script

Started by Afrasi, January 24, 2016, 03:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afrasi

I will show here my many unattributed Egyptian tokens. The main problem for a correct attribution is usually the Arabian script ...
But Saro promised to help a little bit.  :D

The first token has a denomination of 30 Milliemes and shows the number 90 (bus line? house number?) at the obverse.

Afrasi

Just found another one worth 10 Milliemes:

Afrasi

and a third one probably of the same issuer:

malj1

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

saro

Combining the different styles of script of these 3 tokens (clearly from the same issuer), the best I can say, and if I am correct ( ::)) is :
up : "سيد شعراوي" / "Sid Sha'rawi"
bottom :  "  با لنحاسين " & 90 // " Al-Nahasin"
on reverse 10 & 30 millims are more easy to read...
Sid Sha'rawi is probably a name and Al-Nahasin is a bazaar (souk) in Cairo...
Could be a step for identification ? what means 90  ???
May be somebody from WoC knows more?

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

A denomination in millims point to the time of British influence.

Speculation: Sidi Sha'rawi may be the name of the owner of a market stall on Al-Nahasin. That would make it a market token: a proof of payment for a relatively expensive piece of packaging that could be returned for repayment and re-used, e.g a pallet, a crate or (a number of) bottles. In Britain, such tokens would be used by wholesalers in things like vegetables around 1910-1930.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

"al-nahasin "  means also"coppersmith" in arabic; may be is it a coppersmith baazar in Cairo? in which Mr Sha'rawi possessed the shop n°90 ?

Afrasi

Afrasi

Two of them I bought as "coffee shop tokens". That may be true or not, as some Egyptian sellers call all unidentified tokens coffee shop tokens ...

saro

May be it isn't incompatible : in bazaars there are very often coffee shops; that could be tokens from one of them inside the souk ...
These small denominations tokens of 10 or 30 millims may well fit with  coffee or tea drinks.

Afrasi

Thanks again!

Here comes another token with a (house?/shop?) number, also called coffee shop token by the seller:

saro

this one reads : "Muhammad Ibrahim  and  Muhammad Sadiq"   and in bottom line  "qumiz khir" & n° 95 (or qumiz khabir" as it seems that there is a "b" after "Kh")

I am not certain but I think that could be a variant script for "kamiz khair"= "the best shirt"  ??? or more probably "kamiz khabir"= "shirt expert"
reverse: 50 millims
May be these two Muhammad were brothers and hold a tailor shop ?

Afrasi

Many thanks! Can you write it in Arabic, please? So I can learn a little bit more about reading such tokens.

saro

Here the text in arabic :

Muhammad Ibrahim : محمد ابراهیم       
       and :    و
Muhammad Sadiq (Sadq): محمد صدق         

Shirt expert :قوميز خبير   (qumiz khabir)                           

Afrasi