News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Thévenon & Cie engravers

Started by malj1, May 29, 2013, 01:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Another 'A Consommer' this one is interesting in that the 20c has been over-stamped with a counter-mark of 2d, presumably for use in the UK. Silvered brass, 19mm.

This time too the triangle mintmark is that of T & Cie.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Afrasi

There are many FC pieces in Algeria and some in Morocco and Tunisia, but now I have my first Ethiopian one:

malj1

I am not sure that is an FC, even when enlarged it is too indistinct, but to me it appears to have an ampersand between the letters.

See this one from Reply # 42

There are several  triangular marks for other French companies such as those for Angles & Pattard and Janvier & Berchot.

Perhaps yours may be J & B for the latter?  ???
Malcolm

Figleaf

I think it say F&Cie or P&Cie, where Cie stands for Compagnie (company). Compare the old logo of the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique below.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Sorry Peter, I am afraid I didn't make that clear enough!  ::)

I was actually referring to Afrasi's Ethiopian token above, the aluminium piece.

The brass piece was just an example to show how there are in fact several different triangle mint-marks to be found.
Malcolm

Horacio

Quote from: Afrasi on July 30, 2014, 10:00:31 AM
There are many FC pieces in Algeria and some in Morocco and Tunisia, but now I have my first Ethiopian one:

Afrasi, the picture is not clear enough, but I would say your token is not made by CARTAUX. When I enlarge the picture the triangle shows other letters for me. Additionaly, the token "style" is not CARTAUX.

Afrasi

Thanks for correcting me!

A closer look with a watchmaker's glass showed me "O&T" below a cross or clubs, my tries for a better scan show me now "DO&T".

malj1

Not a mint-mark I have come across before.  ???

I will have a look round later.  ;D
Malcolm

redwine

Quote from: Afrasi on July 30, 2014, 08:07:46 PM
Thanks for correcting me!

A closer look with a watchmaker's glass showed me "O&T" below a cross or clubs, my tries for a better scan show me now "DO&T".

It's a backward Thevenon (T&Cie)  ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

I am not impressed that all these threads have all been removed from the token pages where they rightly belong.

Somewhere we had been discussing this recently and had decided that T & Cie is not Thevenon.

Edit see Clamour, Lille
Malcolm

africancoins

A piece that says "THEVENON & CIE" can be seen here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262172115758

This thread is about marks either coins and/or tokens.... but would perhaps be better in a tokens section....  likewise the "FC triangles" related thread.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

I shall save that image before it is sold and lost to all.

THEVENON & Cie Graveurs rare jeton publicitaire paris
Malcolm

redwine

Quote from: malj1 on January 19, 2016, 12:13:41 PM
I am not impressed that all these threads have all been removed from the token pages where they rightly belong.

Somewhere we had been discussing this recently and had decided that T & Cie is not Thevenon.

Edit see Clamour, Lille

I think in this case it is.

malj1

The one in the first post with T&Cie below a pansy is that of Thevenon & Co.

That in Reply #6 may not be, unsure it looks more like this:

I believe it is Tête (& Cie) = T.&.Cie.  une croix de Lorraine 1913/1923
Malcolm

redwine

What proof do we have that any of the other T&Cie's produced tokens?