Author Topic: 1945 Danish medal - fundraiser for France?  (Read 2291 times)

translateltd

1945 Danish medal - fundraiser for France?
« on: May 28, 2009, 12:01:22 AM »
Hi folks,

A Danish friend asked me if I knew anything about this medal that he has - it's about the size of an old English penny (don't have exact diameter but would say 31 - 33 mm), bronze, with the following legends:

Frankrigshjælpen
          Paris i København 9 Nov.

The reverse.,

Usaarlig var din aand din  rod din Stamme Du greb med lænket haand  din friheds flamme.

One side shows the cross of Lorraine, I think the "Frankrigshjælpen" side ...

No image, unfortunately - and I haven't done the obvious thing and tried Google yet :-)

Ring any bells with anyone in the meantime?

translateltd

Re: 1945 Danish medal - fundraiser for France?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »
With a bit more of a breather at the end of the day (ish), I've managed to answer my own question with a bit of googling:

http://www.gladsaxegymnasium.dk/2/soemod/montmeda.htm  (item no. 3)

I should have guessed that our friend Joergen, whom Figleaf and I have "known" on-line for at least 15 years, would have written something on the subject.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1945 Danish medal - fundraiser for France?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
3) aid to France in 1945; Harald Salomon (HS); bronze. Issued to support aid to France, which provided meals to French toddlers and organized "Paris in Copenhagen" days, 9 November 1945. Poem on the reverse by Hans Hartvig Seedorf Pedersen. Sold by the banks for 2 DKR.

I found this or a similar medal in a sale, without picture or explanation. The poem on the medal is harder to translate. Something like:

Your spirit, your mind, your trunk was untouchable
You grabbed the flame of freedom with a chain-mailed hand.

Here, the croix de Lorraine is used as the symbol of the free French forces, I presume.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.