Author Topic: Rare Saxon Edward the Confessor Penny  (Read 1239 times)

Offline DetectorMan68

Rare Saxon Edward the Confessor Penny
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:10:28 AM »
One of my best Finds Rare Saxon Edward the Confessor Penny Only Five of this type Recorded  ;D ;D
Type N 813 (PACX) (Hild.d) (1042-1044)
Mint Lincoln (LINCONL.NC) Moneyer: ULFr, (VLF)

Offline coinlover

Re: Rare Saxon Edward the Confessor Penny
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:10 AM »
Edward the Confessor was among the last Anglo-Saxon kings of England, and usually considered the last king of the House of Wessex, ruling from 1042 to 1066.

Born: 1003, Islip, United Kingdom
Died: January 5, 1066, London, United Kingdom
Successor: Harold Godwinson
Spouse: Edith of Wessex (m. 1045)
Parents: Æthelred the Unready, Emma of Normandy
Source : Wikipedia

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 04:32:57 PM »
Whatever the rarity it is a coin in great conditon and iconic for its period of production. Great find !

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Congratulations. Great find indeed. I can imagine how it felt, rubbing the dirt off, expecting another Coca Cola can lip or a see-through Elizabethan fourpence at best and finding such a beauty instead. Were there any other coins on that spot?

This is indeed the PACX type (after the letters between the arms of the cross, probably short for pax christi), Spink 1171 BMC IV. On this variety, I read +EDwarD behind the king, but the text in front makes no sense to me (I would have expect REX). The legend on the reverse is as you note: +VLF ON LINCON LNC. BTW, the Saxon name for Lincoln is LINDCOLNE. Funny spelling is a sign of Danish influence.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.