Linked Events

• Ahemdabad Coin Fair: August 14, 2009 - August 16, 2009

Author Topic: Ahmedabad Coin Fair  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Ahmedabad Coin Fair
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
Ahmedabad coin fair will be held on August 14-August 16,2009.I'll post more details soon.

Will you be attending the fair Amit ?

Aditya
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:55:20 PM by numismatica »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: A'Bad Coin Fair
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:29:08 AM »
Aditya,
This is news to me. I have not yet heard of this. Ofcourse, I did not attend the last monthly meeting as I was in office and we now have a new managing comittee.
I will try to be there for atleast half a day on sunday (if it is on a sunday) or in the evenings as work keeps me busy most of the day (when I am in town).
If you are visiting, we can meet sometime over a cup of tea but in the meanwhile, keep me posted. I am not sure that I may be around for the June meeting as well.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »
Amit,
You can manage to attend the fair since 16 is Sunday.I'll not be there since we again have another fair here in Mumbai in September.
I'm not very sure whether Todywalla's are organizing an auction there.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:02:28 AM »
Aditya,
I asked around yesterday and have information that the fair is proposed to be organised by an Mr Shatrughan Jain, an ex-president of the Gujarat Coin society. It will be a private affair and he will organize everything. I was told that he is planing to book a space in a 3 star catagory hotel and is also planing an entry fee for visitors  :o. All 3 days will be holidays and I think that I will spend considerable time if the display / offerings are good and the entry reasonable.

The regular fair organised by the Gujarat Coin Society is as usual scheduled for Feb '10.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
I received the flyer a few days back. The fair is to be held in a 3 star hotel - Comfort Inn, President, located just across the road from where the usual coin fair of the Gujarat Coin Society is held. And yes, there is no entry fee. There will be 2 Auctions. On the first day OSWAL will hold their 4th Auction and on the second day, TODDYWALA will have their auction. A treat for the collectors here.
Will keep updating information as received.
Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
I am definitely jealous, guys. Although it sounds a bit like a series of auctions with the fair built around them, I'd sure have fun and I'd try to find the last coin I need for my British India type collection :) and see if I could afford it. You convinced me. Visiting India has risen considerably on my list of priorities. 8)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:24:53 AM »
Peter,
Which British India coin you are talking about? Must be some Victoria Rupee  8)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »
A modest half pice 1942, KM 529. :o

I know it didn't circulate and I can live without it. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 02:33:12 PM »
I am definitely jealous, guys. Although it sounds a bit like a series of auctions with the fair built around them, I'd sure have fun and I'd try to find the last coin I need for my British India type collection :) and see if I could afford it. You convinced me. Visiting India has risen considerably on my list of priorities. 8)

Peter
Peter,
Look forward to seeing you here. The Indian hospitality has not shrunk with the world economy and I am sure you will enjoy every moment you are here.
Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »
Thanks asm, I'll keep you'll informed.

Peter

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 12:02:47 AM »
I must confess that I was somewhat amused by the title of this thread.  I thought at first that that apostrophe was just a bad mistake....

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Ahmedabad Coin Fair
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
I do think there is a need to correct the title to read 'Ahmedabad Coin Fair' to avoid confusion.
Amit

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »
I do think there is a need to correct the title to read 'Ahmedabad Coin Fair' to avoid confusion.
Done as suggested ;D

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 06:54:20 AM »
Attended the coin fair last week end. Was a reasonably good show. Though it was not a show organised by the Gujarat Coin Society, there were dealers from almost all parts of the country. I believe there were over 30 to 35 dealers trying to sell coins as well as related items. Mr Praful Thakkar had been kind enough to display some of his stunning collection of various collectibles including items releated as well as not related to numismatics.
The number of visitors were also quite large. On Saturday in the few hours that I was at the fair, may be a few hundred visited. The auction room was full and since I reached late, I did not find room to sit.
For me personally, it was an a thrilling experiance. I filled up a lot of blank spaces in my collection of Kutch coins. I  saw some one with the old lead coins as well as coins of Sultans of Khandesh. Unfortunately I did not find him again. I picked up two coins of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb of Golkonda mint - both different veraities. I also picked up a strange coin which has one one side the marking of Navanagar but the flip side (reverse) has markings which I have never come across. I also picked up a few coins of the Sultans of Gujarat. I will post these in the next few days.
Amit 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »
Sounds like a great show. When I go to a coin show (rarely) I am happy if I find one dealer who has a bit of a collection of Asian coins. I probably would have spent way over budget in a show like this. Did you have a chance to meet other WoC members?

Good to know you'll be posting away. How about some "show & tell" threads on Kutch coins? I a pretty complete with the machine-struck coins and have only Richard Bright's book (which is pretty good, though).

Peter