Author Topic: Akbar Gorakhpur half dam ialhi issue month Ardhibihst  (Read 545 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Akbar Gorakhpur half dam ialhi issue month Ardhibihst
« on: December 10, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
Hi all,
Here is a really scarce/rare coin among Akbar coppers.. This is the only issue of Gorakhpur in ilahi. Month Ardhibihst. the ilahi date is out of flan but a rare dam in private collection has shown to be ilahi 4x. Wt- 9.9 gms.

Do comment
Dr.Abhishek

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar Gorakhpur half dam ialhi issue month Ardhibihst
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »
Beautiful condition, a dream coin
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »
Your collection is a vivid illustration of how important it is to understand the whole coin, every little bit of it. You cannot build such a collection as yours by throwing money at a dealer. You can make it only by knowing your stuff. That is a great equaliser.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Yes, a dream coin....
And what is not common is that the persian month occupies quite the full space of the reverse.

Dear abhinumis, when did you open your own museum ? :)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
Your collection is a vivid illustration of how important it is to understand the whole coin, every little bit of it. You cannot build such a collection as yours by throwing money at a dealer. You can make it only by knowing your stuff. That is a great equaliser.

Peter
I'm inspired by these lovely words.. I have tried my best to understand the copper coins of Mughal. I have collected the coins piece by piece and am trying by best to educate collectors regarding these coins.

Beautiful condition, a dream coin
Thanks a lot Vic.

Yes, a dream coin....
And what is not common is that the persian month occupies quite the full space of the reverse.

Dear abhinumis, when did you open your own museum ? :)
Thanks a lot Bernard sir. My museum is a long way to go.. A half dam is illustrated on zeno with month (Mordad = Amardad)
http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=82270 (wrongly attributed to Jahangir). I have also seen a unique damri of this type.. A specimen of dam in Ashmoleum museum shows ilahi 4x on the top above the month. What do you say??
Dr.Abhishek

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
A half dam is illustrated on zeno with month (Mordad = Amardad)
http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=82270 (wrongly attributed to Jahangir). I have also seen a unique damri of this type.. A specimen of dam in Ashmoleum museum shows ilahi 4x on the top above the month. What do you say??
I have had a very attentive look at this zeno coin and I think too that the month reads well "mordad" , for amardad, as suggested on Zeno.  مورداد  is in fact the modern persian name of "Leo" month.
If I am right, it's the first time it is seen on a mughal coin.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
It is indeed Mordad for Amardad ( I have also come across it for the first time) but the other months also comes with variations. I have Isfandar for Isfandarmuz and Ardi for Ardibihist in my collection. What is your experience for other months??
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:19:24 AM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek