News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coins of Bukhara identified

Started by peggy, December 02, 2015, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peggy

voici les monnaies a identifier  elles sont proches des rupees indiennes grands moghols, mais le tour  de mes monnaies reste différent de celles ci !! elles sont en argent

Here is currencies have to identify they look like the Indian rupees big moghols, but the tour(ballot) of my currencies remains different from those this!! They are silver   

THCoins

Welcome Peggy, Bienvenue dans WOC !

Your coins are likely all silver Tenga from Central Asia, issued by the Amirs of Bukhara. Click here for some other.

peggy

bonsoir !! un grand merci a vous je ne pensais pas avoir une réponse aussi rapidement !!vous êtes formidable !

Good evening!! One thank you has you I did not think of having an answer so quickly!! You're great! :D

Figleaf

This is a good moment to take some time to read the date on the coins. To get a full explanation of the numerals and dates, click here. In the left frame is more information on Arabic chronological systems. The right frame gives technical detail on dating.

First, look up the dates. There are two. I circled them on the illustration below. One has four digits: 1284. On this coin, that is enough for dating. Click the numbers you see on the coins on the central frame. They will appear in the bar below. Next, click the "calculate" button. It will calculate the equivalent christian date, in this case 1867 AD.

On other Arabic coins, the date is the accession year of the ruler. You may one day find a Turkish or Egyptian coin dated 1277. This is not the year the coin was struck but the year the sultan started his reign. You will find - usually on the other side of the coin - a regnal year, such as 7. This means that the coin was struck in 1277 + 7 = 1284 AH or 1867 AD. On this coin, the regnal year does not make sense to me, so maybe I misread something?

With this information, you should be able to date some of your other coins. The catalogue number of this coin is KM 70, which refers to the Krause and Mishler series of coin catalogues. If you don't have them, let us know. Much of the information in them is available on the internet.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

On the second coin where Peter circled the number i think the dot to the right of it is also part of the date. So it's from 130X AH, where the last digit of the year number is outside the edge of the coin.

Figleaf

Quite possible, but 1284/130x doesn't make any sense either. Can anyone read the inscrutable scribbles? It's not exactly newspaper print. The name of the local Mufti-in-chief should clarify stuff.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

QuoteQuite possible, but 1284/130x doesn't make any sense either
No, and that's because it is not 1284/130X. These are together the obverses of two different coins. The reverses are in the lowest picture of the original post. Here you can still faintly see the same 1284 on the leftmost coin. The 130X on the second reverse is off flan.

Figleaf

That does explain it very well, doesn't it? An objective lesson on why it is unwise to be in a hurry when collecting ;)

Peter

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on December 03, 2015, 01:11:26 PMCan anyone read the inscrutable scribbles?
The reverse reads :"zarb Bukhara-i-sharif" ( struck at Bukhara the noble city ), and the obverse refers to amir Haidar.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

peggy

hé!!! je ne pensais pas que mes minis monnaies feraient tant parler !! merci a vous tous car c'est très instructif !!

Hey!!! I did not think that my mini currencies would so much make speak!! Thank you has you all because it is very instructive!!

peggy

quand j'ai voulu trouver leur date, j'avais vu 1287 pour la première et 1319 pour la troisième et les autres 130? , finalement j'étais pas très loin !!!

When I wanted to find their date, I had seen on 1287 for the first one and on 1319 for the third and the others 130? Finally I was not very far!!!

Figleaf

Quote from: saro on December 03, 2015, 04:23:16 PM
The reverse reads :"zarb Bukhara-i-sharif" ( struck at Bukhara the noble city ), and the obverse refer to amir Haidar.

Bukhara is now in Uzbekistan. Haidar must be amir Haidar Tora, an unpleasant character, who was held in esteem as "Haidar the learned". However, the dates on the coins point to amir Muzaffar-al-din, his grandson. This may have to do with the doubtful legitimacy of the ruling Manghit dynasty and the increasing weakness of the emirate and its rulers in the face of increasing Russian pressure. Muzaffar-al-din was the last ruler of the independent emirate.

Peter

peggy

merci beaucoup peter pour toutes ses informations , c'est tres interessant !!

thank you very much Peter for all his information is very interesting !!

Kogarashi89

I think that the legends on these are:

Obv: "amir haidar marhum 'aqibat mahmud" (Amir Haidar, the deceased may you always be praised) + date.
Rev: "zarb dar bukhara-yi sharif" (Minted in the Noble Bukhara) + date.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Best regards,
Patricio

saro

Quote from: Kogarashi89 on May 26, 2023, 02:06:13 PMI think that the legends on these are:

Obv: "amir haidar marhum 'aqibat mahmud" (Amir Haidar, the deceased may you always be praised) + date.
Rev: "zarb dar bukhara-yi sharif" (Minted in the Noble Bukhara) + date.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
100% correct Patricio !  :applause:
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)