Paraguay: floral set of 1944 to 1951

Started by <k>, November 19, 2015, 12:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

You do have a fascinating garden, Gerard.  8)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

gerard974

thank you very much
in up is the fruits and in down the chickens ,i am a gentleman farmer 8)
Gerard

<k>

Here I will expand on Maria's research by adding the scientific names.

1 Céntimo.  Guava flower.  Psidium guajava, the common guava, is an evergreen shrub or small tree native to the Caribbean, Central America and South America. It is easily pollinated by insects; in culture, mainly by the common honey bee, Apis mellifera.

5 Céntimos.  Passion flower.  Passiflora edulis is a vine species of passion flower that is native to Brazil, Paraguay and northern Argentina. Its common names include passion fruit (US), passionfruit (UK and Commonwealth), and purple granadilla (South Africa).

10 Céntimos.   Orange blossom.  The Orange blossom is the fragrant flower of the Citrus sinensis (orange tree). It is used in perfume making and has been written about as an aphrodisiac

25 Céntimos.   The flower of the Lapacho tree.  Handroanthus impetiginosus: pink ipê, pink lapacho, or pink trumpet tree is a native Bignoniaceae tree of America, distributed from northern Mexico south to northern Argentina. Lapacho is the national tree of Paraguay.

gerard974

hello
on my little stone we have one fruit called "goyavier" but is not the same that South America
http://www.mi-aime-a-ou.com/goyavier_goyave.php
we have also the same
http://www.mi-aime-a-ou.com/Psidium_guajava.php

Gerard

<k>

Quote from: gerard974 on January 24, 2016, 01:25:11 PM
hello
on my little stone

By "stone" Gerard means "island" - namely the island of Reunion - for members who may not know.

gerard974

yes but with my english for tourist i want say that is a very little island

<k>

Paraguay floral set.jpg

Paraguay: floral set.

Here are the four floral designs together, along with the national lion emblem on the 50 centimos coin.

I am surprised by how many views this topic has had: over 790 views since I posted it in November 2015.

<k>

Figleaf

Quote from: <k> on November 19, 2015, 12:30:54 PM
Another thing - look at the year, on the coins dated 1947. How often do you see a crossed seven on a coin? Continental Europeans write it like that - in their handwriting - but you rarely see it in print.

You are quite right. Typographically, the 7 should never be crossed. However, since handwriting is less precise, but numbers are precise, it is considered good form to cross the 7 in handwriting, in order to distinguish it from the 1. Also, the written1 always gets the top serif in handwriting, in order to distinguish it from a |, as an I is often written.

I can imagine how this sort of details gets lost in time and Paraguay. However, as a teenager, I worked as a telephone operator and reading hand-written numbers correctly was vital. I never forgot the stern lessons I got from the pro operators.
:rules:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.