Author Topic: Parthian bronze  (Read 750 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Parthian bronze
« on: November 18, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »
I have a small collection of Parthian bronze coins. They are harder to find than the silver, especially in good condition. A very varied, not easy to fathom coinage. This one I bought last week in Tienen (Belgium). I'm quite content with it because of its relatively good condition, with the monograms behind the head readable (MI, AM) and the standard formulas on the reverse also.
It's king Mithradates II (123-88 BC) with his long beard, Sellwood 27.10. 3,44 gr, 17 mm. Because of its high relief I couldn't get the scan quite right. This coin, especially the obverse, is 'better in hand' to use a too much used commendation.
-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Parthian bronze
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »
In my eyes this one shows a bit of several worlds. The obverse portrait is clearly Parthian. If i would have seen just the reverse with the horse my first association might have been Seleukid. I also do not run into Parthian bronzes often. Nice to see some !

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Parthian bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:20:18 AM »
What an interesting coin! You seem to have discovered a small coin mine in Tienen. I know nothing at all about this series, so I am all the more interested. My first thought was "Greek legends on a Persian coin?" I am still learning about the profound influence of Hellenism in Central Asia, centuries after Alexander died. It's mind boggling. Thanks for posting.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.