Author Topic: AMAPCO Sierra Leone  (Read 831 times)

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
AMAPCO Sierra Leone
« on: November 18, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
This token was sold as a telephone token, but searching for AMAPCO gives as result a (blood?)-diamond exporting company.

What did this token serve for? (27.8 mm; 9.59 g Cu-Sn)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: AMAPCO Sierra Leone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »
Used in some kind of security slot machine such as a parking control arm, door opener, timing meter, laundromat etc.

I have noticed an increasing trend on eBay where telephone token is used to incorrectly describe many of this type of token with a groove.

The writing is on the wall.

Mr Jihad Basma Diamond dealer
Source
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:39:48 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »
Many thanks! The name of the dealer was new to me. But I did not find his name in the link with the source. Just found!

Buying this token I was pretty sure the token was not used for telephones. But who knows? Perhaps it was one bearing the inscription as advertising ...
Anyway it is an African token and it is in my collection now.   :)  And searching and thinking about its kind of use is much fun to me.   :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:17:18 AM by Afrasi »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »
I recommend comparing size, location of slots and metal with those of known washing machine tokens (Miele comes to mind). The metal is apparently unsuitable to the African climate, so it is a fair guess that this may have been made from a European model, with a different text. Sorry, am far from my collection, so can't help much.

From memory, the grooves on phone tokens tend to be rectangular (or maybe that's just the French phone tokens), not rounded, as on this one.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
Thanks! I don't think the gold diggers were using a Miele washing machine to wash their gold, but I agree this token being made most probably outside the country.
Bronze is common for West African coins and tokens.
The telephone tokens of Congo for example have rounded grooves.