Prize medal from Clifton college

Started by malj1, November 18, 2015, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Spotted on delcampe a Prize medal from Clifton college, I wish though they would provide more information there such as size metal etc.

Clifton College is a co-educational independent school in the suburb of Clifton in the port city of Bristol in South West England, founded in 1862.

It is a dead ringer for the Pathe phonograph token without the ribbon; perhaps Peter will give us a Figleaf when he returns. see Salon Du Phonographe

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Manzikert

The subject is the Discobolus, a Greek sculpture of a discus thrower https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discobolus and therefore a very appropriate subject for a sports medallion. Any possible connection with Pathe escapes me, unless what he is throwing on their version is a film cannister ;D

Alan

malj1

I thought it had to be a Greek sculpture.

Pathe is a gramophone company and his discus is a record.  On some varieties of these tokens the discus is marked pathe record.

These tokens were used for listening to a music selection in a salon the early days.
Malcolm

Manzikert

I was thinking of Pathe News, hence the film cannister idea.

The statue copied on the Pathe token is actually the Townley Discobolus from the British Museum (see third image down on Wikipedia), where he is looking forward and down, rather than the correct Myron version where he looks upwards and backwards as on the Clifton medal.

I think the Clifton medal is beautiful by the way.

Alan

malj1

Yes I had noticed that. They say: Roman copy with incorrectly restored head.

Here is a close-up where you can see it might need turning to a more correct position..
Malcolm

Pellinore

Khalepa ta kala, Greek for "The beautiful things are hard to attain", a saying of Plato.
This sports prize medal was made by Pinches Medal Mint in London, but from when to when? Could be a very long time. I suppose there are bronze, silver and gold or gilt medals. This silver one was in an auction of May 2015.
-- Paul

malj1

There are three available, two bronze and a silver, on Delcampe; see this link to the silver one; I had used what I felt was the nicest one.

Thanks for the translation from the Greek.

I see they are each 44mm.
Malcolm

Pellinore

There's a book about the Pinches Mint: Pinches, J. H. & R. V., Medals By John Pinches. A Catalogue of Works Struck By the Company from 1840- 1969. Heraldry Today, 1987. I found copies online starting from 29 euros.
-- Paul

Pellinore

I'd like to know the date of the design; 19th or 20th century.
-- Paul

malj1

I could only get one result to my searches that of carters which suggests a date of c 1906.

Quote:
A silver John Pinches medal, circa:1906, London, the large medallion features in relief a classical figure with discus to front and verso a heraldic shield, engraved to edge 'S. H. Miles, 1906 '. Weight 46gr Diameter 4.5 cm

This tells us they are engraved on the edge.

Clifton College crest from Wikipedia  Motto: Latin: Spiritus Intus Alit = The spirit nourishes within

Established    1862

Malcolm