Author Topic: Australia 2016 Coins  (Read 6313 times)

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Australia 2016 Coins
« on: November 06, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
I'm surprised no one has posted already about this, but Australia are marking the 50th anniversary of their decimalisation in 2016 with a set of their six circulation coins featuring representations of pre-decimal designs on their obverses, with the standard original reverse designs.  An example (the 50c) is pictured.  An interesting set.  The UK rarely bothers commemorating the introduction of its decimal coinage, and when it commemorates anything, it does so by issuing several designs for the same denomination.  It could learn a lot from its Royal Australian Mint cousin...

Offline Mister T

Re: Australia 2016 Coins
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:02:56 AM »
Interesting to see whether these will circulate.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:56:18 AM »
The UK rarely bothers commemorating the introduction of its decimal coinage,

Rarely? Never is closer to the mark. The only commemoration I can think of is the set of circulation-design coins produced in silver proof in 1996, which was marketed as a 25th anniversary commemoration of decimalisation but didn't include any coin with an explicit reference to the event. And, obviously, none of the coins involved were issued for circulation.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
I can imagine in 2019-2021 the UK royal mint'll do something. I mean, five 2 pound coins this year, how many next year, and the year after. By 2019 they'll be issuing so much nonsense, they'll need any old excuse.

Offline Enlil

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:16:53 AM »
Interesting to see whether these will circulate.

I don't think they will, terrible design though. We are just now beginning to see 2015 coins, so will be a while to see what circulated in 2016.

Offline Mister T

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:21:01 AM »
I don't think they will

Someone on another forum said that sales staff they spoke to on the phone at the mint said they would be mint set only.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Australia 2016 Coins
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
Someone on another forum said that sales staff they spoke to on the phone at the mint said they would be mint set only.

That's really bad. Would have loved to get a set to add to my 'coins on coins' collection...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »
That is correct decimal currency semicentennial 14 February 2016 come only in sets; unc sets mintage 100,000 and proof set 50,000

Image from the December issue of the Australasian coin and banknote magazine.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Australia 2016 Coins
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:40:43 AM »
Available on Royal Australian Mint's e-shop for AUD 25.0 (Australian buyers) or AUD 22.73 (International buyers, excluding GST).

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:40 AM »
$3.85 face value!  Quite a mark up.  ::)
Malcolm

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Australia 2016 Coins
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »
$3.85 face value!  Quite a mark up.  ::)

Yeah, with a mintage of 100,000, I don't think that price tag is justified! Still, much better priced than many other mints... ;)

Aditya

Offline Enlil

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 03:47:46 AM »
Yeah, with a mintage of 100,000, I don't think that price tag is justified! Still, much better priced than many other mints... ;)

Aditya
New Zealand uncirculated sets are NZ$59, now that is a rip off.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 04:31:36 AM »
They all seem to charge what they like, there is no uniformity.
Malcolm

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Australia 2016 Coins
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:01:02 AM »
Apparently Royal Australian Mint came to know about our complaint and they are now putting 5 million pieces of each denomination in circulation. :)

Mint cashes in on 50th anniversary

The Royal Australian Mint has made a special release of the entire suite of Australia’s circulating coins to feature commemorative designs recognising the fiftieth anniversary of decimal currency.

More than five million coins of each denomination will enter circulation, with the designs appearing on the heads of the coin along with the effigy of the Queen.

The Mint said this would be the first time unique designs had been applied to the five and 10 cent coins.

Chief Executive of the Mint, Ross MacDiarmid said the 50 cent coin would be the first to enter circulation, with the rest of the denominations distributed as demand arose.

“We hope to see the 50 cent coin very soon in our change and, for a limited time, the public will be able to contact the Mint and purchase a pack that is made up of 20 50-cent pieces at face value of $10 plus postage,” Mr MacDiarmid said.

“With these orders, we will also send a free circulating coin folder so that the public has something [with which] to collect all six coins throughout the year.”

He said during 2016 the Mint would run the same promotion with the other denominations for a limited time to ensure the public had access to these coins.

Mr MacDiarmid said complementing the coin release, a new book, Inside the Vault: The History and Art of Australian Coinage, had been published.

He said the book by Peter Rees, launched by Governor-General, Sir Peter Cosgrove, delved into the world of Australian coinage history along with never-before-seen sketches and photographs from the vaults of pre-eminent Australian institutions and private collectors.

Sir Peter said that Mr Rees had captured Australia’s rich coinage history, providing a great historical record for all ages during the anniversary year.

Assistant Minister to the Treasurer, Alex Hawke said the history of modern Australian currency had never been told in such detail.

“Peter Rees has ensured that all of the key developments over more than 200 years are told to unify the story,” Mr Hawke said.

Source: PS News

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »
Good that they will circulate. I hope I can find some from circulation but I think they will be difficult to obtain this way.
Malcolm