login

Author Topic: Advice on International Shipping  (Read 1830 times)

Offline SudarshanVP

Advice on International Shipping
« on: October 02, 2015, 05:16:34 AM »
Hello
I recently secured a swap and I have to ship the coin to France and Italy.
I have never sent any mail or parcel internationally so I would like to know the procedures involved and all the expenses and what should I use for packaging. Any help is appreciated

And when I do receive the coins which my swap partner promised then do I have to pay custom duty.
If yes. Then how much?

Thanks
Sudarshan
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:42:36 AM by SudarshanVP »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Advice on International Shipping
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »
You have not introduced yourself.

From which country do you plan to send the shipments?
In which country will you receive the coins?

Offline SudarshanVP

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:14:55 AM »
Oh sorry I am from India. I reside in Bangalore I intend to send the Shipments to Italy and France. I have to send 5 coins to Italy and 8 coins to France. They are Indian coin in the year range of 1980-2000.

And from Italy I am receiving 8 coins and France I am receiving about 10 - 12 coins.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:14 AM »
Provided that the letters you are receiving from France/Italy are not weighing over 150 grams and coins are packed properly, you should not have any problem. :) You need not pay custom duty unless you are asked to do so, and most of the times, such light weight letters are cleared by customs without charging any duty. Only if the letter has high value silver or gold (of a very heavy letter weighing like half kg or so with common base metal coins), you will be asked to pay some duty (typically 20% of invoice value). Now since you are receiving these coins as a part of swap or a gift, there won't be any invoice attached but the sender must have attached the CN-22 form (custom declaration form) on the letter clearly mentioning it as a gift with some value of the contents (say 20), there shouldn't be any issue.

Hope this helps.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »
Sending coins from India by post is not permitted.

See this thread

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,31252.0.html

Offline SudarshanVP

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:38:05 AM »
Well it has a value of 5Euro's and how shall I send it to him?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:48:33 AM »
Technically speaking, Pabitra is right about legality of sending coins abroad. But if proper care is taken and coins are packed carefully, there shouldn't be any problem. Since your coins are worth 5 only, I do not see any issues here...

By the way, Indian mints also violate the rule of not sending coins through post: They dispatch all their coin sets within India and abroad by post or private courier. ;)

Aditya

Offline SudarshanVP

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
How should I do the packaging and what should I declare on the CN-22 form and should I use an envelope or anything else.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
Keep the coins between 2 thick cardboard. So if the postman is touching it should not look like there is coins in them. Make it appear like a normal greeting card being sent out and it should be fine.

Don't put more than 3-4 coins in one letter, the more the overall letter weighs, it becomes a parcel and then you would be asked all kinds of declarations and then you are not allowed to send coins out ..
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline SudarshanVP

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
What about the cost then?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 03:54:24 PM »
Don't put more than 3-4 coins in one letter, the more the overall letter weighs, it becomes a parcel and then you would be asked all kinds of declarations and then you are not allowed to send coins out ..

I don't think you need to restrict yourself to only 4-5 coins in a single letter. I have sent 40+ coins (weight over 250 grams) in one letter to Portugal but that's quite long ago.

Regarding cost of sending coins, India Post is quite reasonable IMO. You will pay about one rupee per gram (that's just an approximation!) plus the cost of registration (which was Rs 28 last time I sent a letter).

Aditya

Offline SudarshanVP

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »
It weighs just 17 grams 5 Coins. And the cost might be below hundred?
Plus what kind of an envelope should I use?.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 04:08:28 PM »
Oh sorry I am from India. I reside in Bangalore I intend to send the Shipments to Italy and France. I have to send 5 coins to Italy and 8 coins to France. They are Indian coin in the year range of 1980-2000.

And from Italy I am receiving 8 coins and France I am receiving about 10 - 12 coins.

Nice to know that.
Bengaluru has the most active group of Numismatists in India.
Karnataka Numismatics Society has more than 900 members and last month, in AGM, a dealer dominated executive committee has taken over.
For foreign coins, there appear to be a decent group of active network.
Since you will need to send and receive coins by registered post, you might find that they to to end up costing more than what you could pick up in local market.
Anyway, all the best and keep on sharing your experience.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »
It weighs just 17 grams 5 Coins. And the cost might be below hundred?
Plus what kind of an envelope should I use?.

Yes, it shouldn't be more than Rs 70-80. In fact should be even less.

When I used to send coins abroad, I used to wrap them in silver foil paper (1-2 coins together, not many together as it would make them thick, make multiple bunches like this) and then stick it to the card board. (Do not stick coin directly to card board, it will damage it). Then put that card board in CD mailer (there are couple of varieties in this, I prefer one with bubble wrap coating from inside) which you will find in any stationary store. Once you have done with this, close the CD mailer using a sellotape and then put it in an envelope which has sender's and receiver's address. This works perfectly.

(The theory behind wrapping coins in silver foil paper is that coins are not detected under scanner by using it, that's what I was told when I did my first swap in 2007. I don't know if it's true or not.)

Aditya

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »
Sending coins from India by post is not permitted.

See this thread

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,31252.0.html

I have coins sent to UK from India all the time, mine are always ancient coins as well but there is never a problem and India Post also includes a tracking number.

Allways the sellers pack the coins in cardboard which is then taped all over, it's important that the contents cannot be felt under the paper of the envelope to avoid theft, then it's inserted in the mail packet & usually marked on the customs leaflet as  'tokens'  rather than coins.

I have probably had over 200 packets sent from India, without one single problem but the first time I sent a coin to India it never arrived  :o
Vic