Estonia 2016: Paul Keres

Started by Bimat, September 28, 2015, 05:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

New €2 coin from Estonia commemorating 100th birth anniversary of Estonian chess grandmaster Paul Keres, to be issued next year. Image source: eurohobby. For more information on the design contest of this coin, click here.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Issue date is fixed as January 07,2016.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Susan Polgar just informed me on twitter that:

- The 25th Keres Memorial – ACP Open will be held on 7-10th January 2016, in Tallinn, Estonia.

- The World Chess Federation – FIDE declared the 2016 year of Paul Keres.

Aditya

Bimat

Half million Paul Keres coins that were struck are now sold out! :o

http://pood.post.ee/10952?id=10952&product_id=8869&c_tpl=1051

Needless to say, the BU coincards (mintage: 5000) are out of stock as well... ::)

I'm sure Rasmus has got his share of rolls and cards... 8)

Aditya

Rasmus

Indeed, although this was toughest one, as sold out basically in hours...

Here is attached actual look of coin.

Rasmus

PS Small advertisement also, anybody interested to trade both latest Estonian 2€ coins drop me a PM  ;)

eurocoin

Cash expert Meelis Metus of Bank of Estonia today informed me that the Bank of Estonia has started an investigation concerning the coins (that appear to be of proof quality) that have been found in several rolls. People who don't like the coins can exchange them by sending them to Bank of Estonia. Bank of Estonia denies that any proof coins have been minted.

Figleaf

This is a well known effect of older presses. They strike at slower speed, but similar pressure. When the dies are still new, the coins have proof-like features, but not at 100% of the surface and the effect wears off quite quickly. The effect can be observed on the pre-euro-coins of the Netherlands (they now have faster presses that no longer produce this effect) and Swiss coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Interesting! How hard (or easy) are the 'proof' coins to find? I haven't seen any listing on eBay for this, which is quite unusual as dealers won't miss a golden chance to make more money out of this...

Aditya

Figleaf

They are very easy to find at the time they are circulated, but disappear quickly, as the effect is worn off in circulation. They still occur in numbers in collections, but AFAIK not considered proofs or even special. In the US, a similar but lesser effect was hyped for some time as "first strike". Not sure if this is still so. Last I heard is that collectors started to realise that there were great masses of first strikes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

After a very long wait, I finally added the Keres commemorative to my collection! I'm happy with the unc coin, paying ~ €20 for the BU version isn't really my idea of joy. ;) Being  a chess follower (I don't play it though), I had to get it. A friend from Estonia was very kind to let me have it for reasonable price...

Aditya

quaziright

Is this rare?? I got a few of these from a roll quite a long time ago for face value.

Bimat

Not at all rare. :) However due to low mintage number (which is becoming a common practice these days), it's slightly difficult to get than others.

Aditya