BURUNDI 5 francs circulating commemorative coins bird series

Started by Jostein, September 10, 2015, 11:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jostein

Here is a beautiful nature series from Burundi. The coins have a face value of 5 francs and seems to be circulating coins.

http://www.brb.bi

;)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

milkshakespeare

Really nice looking coins! I hope that these will be true circulating commemoratives, but when 1 euro cent is about 15-20 francs, I'm a bit sceptical for now.

Bimat

Wonderful designs! Since  5 Burundian Francs is hardly equal to USD 0.0032; I'm not sure if these coins have any purchase value at-all in Burundi. Can anyone confirm their status as circulating commemoratives?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Vivek

Pabitra

Quote from: Bimat on September 11, 2015, 05:44:35 AM
Wonderful designs! Since  5 Burundian Francs is hardly equal to USD 0.0032; I'm not sure if these coins have any purchase value at-all in Burundi. Can anyone confirm their status as circulating commemoratives?

5 Franc is very much a circulating denomination.
Even 1 Franc coin, whose last known year of minting is 2003, is a circulating denomination.

It's conversion rate is of no consequence vis-a-vis USD.
One has to see purchasing power parity as well as local economic scenario.

drivera

Bimat

These coins have started appearing on eBay. And surprise, they are not expensive! (Typically less than $5 for the set) ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Pabitra

Multiple design for same denomination of circulation coins would generally be interpreted as meant for collectors or fantasy coinage.
I am very sceptic of such sets.
They always remind of Cape Verde triple set.

Bimat

Quote from: Pabitra on October 22, 2015, 11:28:47 AM
Multiple design for same denomination of circulation coins would generally be interpreted as meant for collectors or fantasy coinage.
I am very sceptic of such sets.
They always remind of Cape Verde triple set.

Can someone confirm the status of the Burundian coins shown above?

I always considered the Cape Verde sets as legal... :-\

Aditya

eurocoin

The coins of Burundi shown above are official issues. I don't know if they circulate and also don't know where they were minted. The Bank of Burundi ignored my request for further information that I sent a few months ago. I am pretty sure that they are collectors coins. I have now sent an email to the Governor of the Bank of Burundi.

Afrasi

malawi

Quote from: Niels on November 27, 2015, 06:23:00 PM
The coins of Burundi shown above are official issues. I don't know if they circulate and also don't know where they were minted. The Bank of Burundi ignored my request for further information that I sent a few months ago. I am pretty sure that they are collectors coins. I have now sent an email to the Governor of the Bank of Burundi.

I hope that the Governor of the Bank of Burundi will respond.
I need to know if these coins are for circulation or not, to decide if to buy them
;D