Author Topic: Ireland 2016: Hibernia Statue  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Ireland 2016: Hibernia Statue
« on: September 10, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
Central Bank unveils designs for 2016 coins

Thursday 10 September 2015 14.38

The Central Bank has today unveiled the winning designs for the 2016 coins to mark the centenary of the Easter Rising.

The first will be used on €2 coins and 4.5m of these coins will be issued into general circulation in January 2016.

The second will be used for the Central Bank's gold and silver proof collector coins which will be available in March 2016.

The winning designs feature depictions of the statue of Hibernia, the historic personification of Ireland, on top of the GPO in Dublin, the headquarters of the provisional government during the Rising.

This is the first time Ireland will issue its own commemorative €2 circulation coin and the design for this coin was by Emmet Mullins.

The winning design for the proof silver and gold collector coins is by Michael Guilfoyle.

His design commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic, which was read by Patrick Pearse outside the GPO on 24 April 1916.

On this coin Hibernia features along with an arrangement of key words and phrases from the Proclamation.

Source: RTE
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline onecenter

Re: Ireland 2016: Hibernia Statue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »
All class from Ireland, as expected.  Great country to collect.
Mark

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:01:43 AM »
I'd comment only after the coin is issued, as visual effects of the design may vary greatly on actual coin than in digital image. ;)

Note that this is the first Irish €2 commemorative since introduction of euro, the three €2 commemorative coins they have issued are all part of common series...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
I was shocked they issued a 2 euro commemorative. But it looks good so far. The picture there isn't as good as another I've seen and that one made it look classy.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
And the design:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:08:12 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »
On January 20, Central Bank of Ireland will issue this commemorative in coin card and book mark (BU, issue price: €6 each) and also in proof quality (Issue price: €15, mintage: 20,000). This coin is also a part of annual BU set of Ireland.

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:13:13 AM »
Central Bank issues €2 coin commemorating 1916

Wednesday 20 January 2016 20.54

The Central Bank has issued a new €2 coin to commemorate the 1916 Rising.

The bank said this marks the first time that Ireland has released its own commemorative €2 coin marking an Irish event.

A total of 4.5 million coins will be issued.

The new coin features a representation of the statue of Hibernia on top of the GPO, the centenary dates and the name "Hibernia" in lettering influenced by the Book of Kells.

"It's a significant achievement for us to mint and issue our own circulating commemorative coin," commented Paul Molumby, Director of Currency and Facilities Management at the Central Bank.

Mr Molumby said the Central Bank is working with the banks, An Post, and the cash in transit companies to get the coin into circulation as soon as possible.

"Members of the public can expect to see the coins in the coming weeks as they come into general circulation," he added.

The design for the new coin, by Emmet Mullins, was chosen following a competition that saw 52 Irish and international designers submit proposals based on the Proclamation of the Irish Republic.

Source: RTE

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
Details of silver and gold collector coins with the same theme here.

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
Added one to my collection recently... :)

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:55:29 PM »
That coin I have too. :)  The rays I don't like that much, but according to the description published in the EU Official Journal they make sense.

Quote: The designs shows the statue of Hibernia which stands on the top of the General Post Office building whose seizure back in 1916 marked the beginning of the Easter rising. She is a symbol of Ireland. Her name was taken from the ancient Greek reference for Ireland and her form was realised by the sculptor John Smyth. She is viewed as a witness to the events of 1916 and for one hundred years since she has seen the nation blossom before her based on the ideals set out in the Proclamation. She continues to look forward and is a symbol of the past, present and future of the country. At the top of the inner circle, the inscription ‘HIBERNIA’ appears in hand-rendered lettering that takes influence form the historic Book of Kells. The sunrays reflect well the underlying concept of the Rising and the Proclamation e.g. dawning of the new nation/Republic. The image of the statue is flanked by the years ‘1916’ and ‘2016’. At the bottom of the inner circle appears the name of the issuing country ‘ιire’ and underneath it the year of issuance ‘2016’.

What is also interesting: Hibernia holds the harp which therefore is relatively small. Could be a model also for future Irish circulation coin designs - denomination specific obverses with a little harp added in a "corner". One can always dream. ;)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
I now have the proof version of this coin which comes in a box with certificate of authenticity etc. (Don't ask me how I got it ;)). What surprises me is the poor quality of the proof coin. My expectations were much higher before getting the coin as Irish collector coins are very nicely struck! But it is a disappointment! :-\

Aditya