Author Topic: One of my favorites, from Chach  (Read 735 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
One of my favorites, from Chach
« on: September 05, 2015, 02:35:01 AM »
Please, meet Ruttpir! If I didn't have an avatar already, I would have chosen this coin. He or she looks a real character.
This is a small bronze coin from Chach, that's the oasis around Tashkent (near the river Jaxartes, now Uzbekistan), dating from the 7th or 8th century. On the obverse is a long-haired person in 3/4 aspect. In the right field a star and crescent (or lettering?).

The reverse has a tamgha of the type we familiarly call Big Nose, with text around it, that has been deciphered as 'Ruttpir', possibly the Lord of the Realm's name. In fact we don't know much about this type of coin. The Shagalov & Kuznetsov coins have been minted during a long time with less than ten main types. You can't compare it with coins from other countries, they are all strangely appealing to me.

This is Shagalov & Kuznetsov # 113. Diameter (more or less) 16 mm, weight 1,74 gr.
-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: One of my favorites, from Chach
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:14:59 AM »
Agree on the attraction of the portrait ! With some royal arrogance the ruler seems to gaze at me from 1300 years in the past.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
A big WOW. I see an Asian ruler in harness (?), sneering at the rise of Islam, looking with distrust at Mongolia and with disdain at Russia. No idea his area was to lose on all three fronts. Very powerful.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
You are putting it very nicely!

Offline Ancientnoob

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:05:25 AM »
That is simply t he best Chach portrait, ever.
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius