Author Topic: New Zealand: All Blacks Stamps and Coins Commemorate Rugby World Cup  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
All Blacks stamps and coins released ahead of RWC

Last updated 17:36, September 3 201

New Zealand Post has released an All Blacks-themed stamp and coin collection ahead of the Rugby World Cup.

The stamp is made of fabric from the 2015 All Blacks home replica jersey and includes details such as All Blacks, Adidas, and AIG logos.

The legal tender silver proof coin is a world first in that it takes the shape of the team's jersey. Just 2015 of the coins were minted worldwide.

New Zealand Post's head of stamps and coins Simon Allison said his designers wanted to come up with unique and eye-catching memorabilia.

"The All Black jersey is synonymous with New Zealand the world over," he said. "The stamps and coins are about honouring the All Blacks, their jersey and its symbolism for fans and supporters."

The collectables are available now for fans to purchase.

Source: Stuff
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
New Zealand: All Blacks Stamps and Coins Commemorate Rugby World Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »
Isn't that 'coin' (first image) thing ridiculously ugly?!?! Who will buy this garbage I wonder!!! ::)

The stamp (second image) is no exception to this either, but I don't care about stamps!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Levantiner

Re: New Zealand: All Blacks Stamps and Coins Commemorate Rugby World Cup
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
NZ post are first and foremost a seller of stamps( in regards to collectables)... they still haven't got it into their corporate mind that coin collectors are more often than not very different to stamp collectors. I agree its very ugly and as an expat kiwi I am ashamed of it!!!

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
New Zealand: All Blacks Stamps and Coins Commemorate Rugby World Cup
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:48:06 PM »
You need not feel ashamed. :) Fortunately (or unfortunately?), NZ Post is not the only authority such pseudo coin junk. Royal Canadian Mint, The Perth Mint, Franklin Mint...the list goes on! ::)

Aditya

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: New Zealand: All Blacks Stamps and Coins Commemorate Rugby World Cup
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 05:10:22 AM »
Could be the first time advertising has made itself onto a coin (??????)

A new way of making money perhaps?  ::)

Offline Oklahoman

Macao had race car coins that had advertising on them back in the day...