Identification and Value on two Medals (Edward VIII), Holy Bible

Started by DarkSithLord, August 28, 2015, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkSithLord

Hi there. New here but long term coin collector.

Just sorting through a few bits and came accros these. Can find out much about them.

Could anyone enlighten me as to their value?

Thank you

One appears to be a Edward Coronation Medal I am unfamillar with.

The Other a Holy Bible Medal?

bruce61813

These are not listed in Royal Commemorative Medals 1837-1977 Vol 6 [Edward VIII / Duke of Windsor].  The use of "and" instead of "&" is very limited. the closest match as far as a maker may be A. Fenwick, W&E 6570A - c. The obverse die was produced and provided by the Royal Mint, the reverse was designed by the engraver. These are real outlyers.  What is their diameter?

bruce

DarkSithLord

Hi Bruce. I appriecate the reply.

Very interesting information. Thanks

Their diameter is

Edward Medal is 25mm.
Holy Bible - 22mm

Could you please move the topic to the correct area?

Thank you

bagerap

The bible  medal is by NPO, who had a prodigious output of mainly religious subjects. They could form a collecting category on their own, but I do find them a little dry for my taste.

bruce61813

Figleaf

;) Don't worry, Bruce, moved the thread while you were still asleep. The advantage of being more to the East.

Quote from: bagerap on August 30, 2015, 03:58:10 PM
I do find them a little dry for my taste.

As in lubrication-free... :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

DarkSithLord

Thanks for the moving the thread Figleaf. Appreciate it.

Hi Bruce do the diameters help?

Has anyone seen a similar piece at auction in the past?

bruce61813

I don't remember seeing these, but doesn't mean much.  The diameters help some,but these medals appear to be cast, not stamped.  My reason for wondering was this information:

Punches issued to the trade for municipal or other reverse - [ 1 3/8 inches , 3 mm]
  T. Fattorini , Mint. Birmingham, J.R. Gaunt, A. Fenwick

Dies were issued for 1 1/4"  or 32 mm :
  Spink , J.R. Gaunt, Turner & Simpson, W.H. Hasler, Pinches, Dingley, Chas. Wright, S. J. Rose, J. Moore, S. Blackensee, A. Fenwick.

These were issued for official medals, in  silver or bronze. The Federation of British Industry [FBI] also had a committee that worked witht he Royal Mintto approve portraits for use with medals.

bruce