Author Topic: Elymais coin with nice Artemis reverse  (Read 720 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Elymais coin with nice Artemis reverse
« on: August 21, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
I'd like to show you this humble bronze, with an excellent Artemis drawing an arrow to put on her bow, surrounded by text I can't read. It's from Elymais, a sub-kingdom of the Parthian Empire in South-Western Iran, dating from the second century AD, possibly reigned by King Phraates or maybe his father King Orodes II.

There's nothing much known about Elymais, and not so long ago it was thoroughly destroyed by Saddam Hussein in his war with Iran (1980s). Once it was pleasant Persian country with some traces of almost forgotten Greek culture. There's some elegance about this simple coin, I think.
It's a yellowish bronze drachm, 13 mm, 3,53 gr.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Elymais coin with nice Artemis reverse
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 05:40:25 PM »
Humble is not the word i would use to characterize the coin. In fact i like it vey much, it shows its Parthian roots but also has its own unique character. The portrait of the king reminds me a bit of the Easter island statues. Thanks for showing !
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:34:13 PM by THCoins »

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
Humble is not the word i would use to characterize the coin. In fact i like it very much, it shows its Parthian roots but also has its own unique character. The portrait of the king reminds me a bit of the Easter island statues. Thanks for showing !

Humble as in: not difficult to find, small and dumpy coins, not expensive then or now. Widow's mites from a different culture.
You're welcome, and I will show some others.
-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
Understand your meaning. It certainly is not a pretentious coin !

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:00:12 PM »
I am baffled by the enormous difference in style between this coin and the ones Prosit is showing in the thread he links to. Were they struck far apart time-wise?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.