Author Topic: French bicycle tax tokens  (Read 5921 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: French bicycle tax tokens
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
Very nice and looks to have been in use.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:31:08 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
Wondering about the IC or CI monogram in the design of the later issues. Any ideas what it stands for?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
I too wondered about that maybe something to do with the Ministry of Finance. You may have a better idea of what it could represent in French? Internal something? ???

Very much like your fibre token with the TC logo that we puzzled over. 8)
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
No, or rather too many, ideas. Yes, that token came to mind. Will be taking it over to the UK shortly to get plasticman's opinion.

Meanwhile, I am working on a few pages in WoT on Dutch bicycle tokens, hoping you three (malj1, redwine and maxmissy) will feel inspired ... ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
I'm thinking Impôt Compagnie could be the I & C. :-\
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
Contributions Indirectes - the answer is hidden on this page http://plaque.free.fr/f_v.html

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »
the plaque was brass in odd years and white metal even years.

It seems there is an exception to this in the final metal year - 1941.  Both brass and white metal were used.
See http://plaque.free.fr/f_v.html

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »
The link doesn't work for me - I think this has happened before with that type of link.
Malcolm

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 07:51:03 AM »
Yes, it has happened with this link before  :'(  Shame because it's an excellent site!
Here's what I was referring to, it's on delcampe.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »
That's nice  :like:

...and most helpfully it tells us the CI monogram is actually Contributions Indirectes.  ;D
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »
Today I realised I had worked out the CI some time ago as it appears on  my own web page with:

A 1913 tax plate from a French slot machine.
German silver, 39mm

Contributions indirectes = indirect tax.

A tax introduced in France by a law of April 8, 1910 and imposed from 1910 to 1934. Control of course was difficult so these plates were designed to be fixed to slot machines by the owner or operator and were renewed each year, therefore an inspector could see at a glance if the tax had been paid. After 1934 these were replaced by a 2% tax on turnover.
Made of German silver until 1915 and then aluminum 1916-1920, from 1920 both brass and aluminum.

Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
Scored my first French bicycle tax token today (1940). Now, I have started to wonder about the CI logo..

Peter

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 05:43:40 AM »
The CI definitey means contributions indirectes, see at the link redwine gave above.

I quote with google translates help:

...in 1942, the plaque was printed on cardboard as a facsimile of the metal plate. The price passed this year to 25 francs. This rate was visible on the plaque for the first and last time. In the municipalities where this cardboard plate was no longer available, the local authorities issued a car registration with the mention that it was a bicycle. These last pieces are rare, even if hundreds of thousands have probably been issued.

The following year, in 1943, the bicycle plate was issued in the form of a stamp that could be glued on a support or a piece of cardboard. These stamps are extremely rare and have often been kept by philatelists. It is not uncommon for plates to be found in the handlebars of old bicycles. Some put it there to be able to produce it in case of control.

From 1949, the stamp will be replaced by a nominative form. The name of "bike plate" will be kept. It was sold in tobacco shops and will be issued in five different colors, after came the vignette. The last form will be issued for the year 1959. By a ministerial decree of December 30, 1958, the French tax on velocipedes will be permanently abandoned...
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 04:57:29 PM »
That looks lik the right solution, Mal. Thank you. For the sake of completeness, contributions indirectes is indirect taxes in English. Those who sold the tax tokens or tickets were responsible for remitting the tax collected to the government.

Peter

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »
Here is an interesting and very scarce french bicycle token : It demonstrates that, inside the french administration, it was necessary to pay legal taxes from one entity ( Roads survey ) to the other ( Finances Ministry ).
This token was intalled in 1900 on a bicycle used by Mr Dubosclard, who was a civil servant in charge of survey of road repairs ( in french : "agent voyer " ) in La Mure which is a small town near from Grenoble and Lyon. Look at " SERVICE PUBLIC " at the bottom which shows clearly that this token was dedicated to civil servants use.

These additional precisions could be useful, may be...
This is a PUBLIC SERVICE plate and not a bicycle tax token; it avoided the fine to the municipal employees, rangers, various couriers liike this "agent voyer". These plates were nominative and today scarce.
This one belonged to a woman named Dubos Clara, agent voyer in the city of Lamure in Rhône Dept (and not La Mûre in Isère Dept, near Grenoble)
("Lamure" and "Rhône" are written at bottom of the plate) . Lamure is known today as "Lamure-sur- Azergues"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)