Ghorid: Ghiyath-Ud-Din Muhammad (1163-1203AD) Elephant Jital reveals its origin.

Started by THCoins, July 31, 2015, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THCoins

The elephant jitals form a distinct minority group among the Jitals. These were issued under different rulers. Recently i showed an elephant jital of Khwarezm Shah Ala ud-Din Muhammad from Kurzuwan mint (here). However, the design originated from the earlier Ghorid rulers. A Ghorid elephant with rider Jital was shown by Vic here.

Below is another elephant Jital issued under Ghorid ruler Ghiyath-Ud-Din Muhammad (1163-1203AD). The more common of his issues is a type from Kurzuwan mint (Tye#132). In this, the elephant faces right and the mintname is written above the elephant in Arab. In the coin below (sellers pic) the elephant faces left and there seem to be a cross and florals above it. The reverse shows an arab text in a square frame.
The present characeristics make this coin identifiable as type Tye#140.2, which is given as rare. Of course it is nice to show another scarce Jital. But it becomes extra nice because it presents with a bonus. Mr Tye gives the mint of this coin as unknown. The reverse text is given as "As-Sultan / al-a'zam Giyath /ud-duniya wa ud-din/Muhammad Sam". Now, the lower part of the text on this coin is hardly readable. The surprize is at the top, as this unmistakably displays the mintname : "Kurzuwan".

So, next to the already known Tye#132 type, this Tye#140.2 specimen can from now on also be attributed to Kurzuwan mint. What was the reason for two different versions from the same city ? One can only speculate.

capnbirdseye

A nice coin, presumably not in your hand yet ?   I had another one I got recently but can't find it right now amongst the piles I'm sorting through
Vic

THCoins

Thanks for the comments. I do not have this one in hand yet, but thought it was about time for another post in this category again. If you find your specimen Vic, please do show it for comparison !

Update: received the coin. In hand it is better than suggested by the pictures above. Will make new pictures when i have some free time.