Author Topic: World Cigarette Machine tokens  (Read 1950 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
World Cigarette Machine tokens
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:34:13 AM »
A new listing now added to World of Tokens: World Cigarette Machine tokens.

I need a token [or an image] of this South African cigarette machine token to complete the picture:

VENDOMATIC (Pty) Ltd 0800 201 521 etc. Rev. Not for sale persons under the age of 16 etc.,  size and metal unknown.  ???

an image taken from the web....
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: World Cigarette Machine tokens
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:28:17 AM »
A worthwhile effort, malj1! I have never seen so many different together - indeed I didn't realise there were that many. They represent a marketing effort by the tobacco industry to look like they were limiting sales to minors with a system that could easily be circumvented. All it took was one person of age willing to get a token for a minor.

World of Tokens has become the richer for it. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:44:44 AM »
Indeed I have been approached by school children outside the supermarket with the request to buy them a packet.

When I was thirteen there was one sweet-shop keeper who had a large jar of cigarettes that he sold at a penny each.

A jar as in the picture below.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 03:34:57 AM »
I have just added a variety of a cigarette token to the WoT Wiki - this one has a mint-mark of an M in a type of circle.

Can anyone identify this mint-mark for me?  ???
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »
ADULTS ONLY same on both sides, brass, at 24mm its the same size as the preceding one in Reply #3

Are there any smokers out there? I need confirmation that this is indeed a cigarette machine token.  ???
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:23:30 AM »
From eBay today a tube of 'AGE' cigarette tokens which appears to be from the Netherlands, however the token shown is from Belgium.  ??? see BTVA = Belux Tobacco Vending Association.

Is the tube new from the mint or are they repackaged used tokens?  ???

30x AgeCoin 'Not legal tender' in Dutch.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
In the North of Belgium Dutch is spoken, so the roll could be Belgian.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:17:01 AM »
From the Daily Mail Australia 3 October 2011 Source

Stubbed out: Cigarette vending machines in pubs outlawed to stop underage smoking

By Richard Hartley-parkinson

Cigarette vending machines have been banished from pubs as a new rule came into force at the weekend to stop underage smoking.
From Saturday it will become illegal to sell tobacco in public areas of pubs, clubs and restaurants with those who break the rules facing 2,500 fines.
Although vending machines account for less than one per cent of sales, 11 to 15 year olds are more likely to buy tobacco from them than the population as a whole.
The British Heart Foundation estimates that more than 46,000 children in that age group buy from them.

Sinclair Collis, which is based in Wolverhampton and owns 20,000 machines, fought to prevent the ban saying the move would wipe out a 400million industry and cost 550 jobs.
The company argued that the Department of Health action went against EU free trade rules and the company's right to use its property.
The DoH brought the rule in to prevent young people from getting hold of cigarettes and deter others from smoking.
It said that the government had failed to look at other options such as the use of technology to enforce age restrictions.
Pubs will still be able to sell cigarettes but they will have to buy them from over the counter so that the seller can verify the buyer is over 18.
The ban on vending machines was approved in 2009 with health campaigners saying it was a 'brave move' by the government.
Former Labour minister Ian McCartney proposed the ban saying they were an 'outrageous loophole in our country's safeguards' against tobacco.
The then health minister, Gillian Merron, said she hoped the ban would deter young people from picking up the habit.
She said: 'The tobacco industry constantly recruits young people to replace those who give up smoking or die each year.
'We are of course aware of how the current economic climate is affecting small business which is why we will not commence the effect of this legislation until 2011 for larger stores and 2013 for smaller shops.
Peter Hollins, chief executive of the British Heart Foundation, said: 'Consigning vending machines to the scrapheap will cut off an easy supply of cigarettes to children.
'This policy must be carried out across the UK as soon as possible.'
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »
@ Peter

Noticed another cigarette machine token listed in Kooij = TOBACCOMUNT unlocks the machine once

need images...
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »
They exist, but you'll have to contact the owners of the picture to make it rights-free.

Peter

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 03:27:14 AM »
I now own a token  ;D

Now added to WoT page CIG12
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 09:00:49 AM »
The page has expanded considerably, with more tokens than ever in amazing detail. Thank you, Malcolm.

Peter