Proposed UK Coin Specification Changes, 1994

Started by Galapagos, April 26, 2009, 11:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Both Mayflower and Endeavour are three-masters and on the coins and they are shown from more or less the same angle, though Mayflower is sailing close to the wind and Endeavour with the wind. However, their hulls are totally different. This makes sense, because there is about 150 years between them. Mayflower has a lazy C shaped hull with a high fo'csle and poop, while Endeavour has a straight upper deck. Endeavour's rigging and sail dimensions are also far more modern.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Quote from: Galapagos on April 26, 2009, 11:27:36 AM
I have never been able to find out who created the ship design.

Interesting. Something to reseach in the future.

Quote from: Galapagos on April 26, 2009, 11:27:36 AMUnfortunately, that design was never adopted, though I do still have the two trials that I bought of it.

A good investment. They are quite sought after now.

eurocoin

Thanks to the research of our member <k>, we earlier today found out that Christopher Ironside is the artist who made the design of the Mayflower that is depicted on the reverse of the trial piece that was produced in 1994 for the bimetallic 2 pounds coin. He didn't specifically make the design for the trial piece but instead already made it in 1970 for a medal to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the ship.

<k>

And the medals were ordered by Slade, Hampton and Son, Ltd.

UK 2 pound trials.jpg

For the purpose of comparison.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.