Author Topic: Cleaning with lighter fluid  (Read 360 times)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Cleaning with lighter fluid
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
More accurately, de-greasing with lighter fluid.
I've just received this 1893 Columbian Exhibition medal looking a bit sorry for itself. Five minutes later after a qiick swirl in the Zippo juice and it's clearly improved. Both pictures taken under the same lighting, but the bottom image fails to capture the beautiful purple patination revealed beneath the gunk.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Cleaning with lighter fluid
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »
Not being a smoker, I am unaware of what is used to make lighter fuel. I presume it is a light petrol such as benzene, which indeed does a fine job of solving fatty substances and removing chemicals but is highly inflammable and can do damage to your lungs when you inhale vapours. Other, but less dangerous ways to solve fat are eating less and exercising more (internal fat only), lukewarm soapy water, dishwater cleaning agents and acetone (will remove chemicals also; should not be inhaled in large quantity also.)

If you want to clean lots of cheap coins and don't care too much about the risk of over-cleaning, put them in an old pan, cover with a sieve, fixed on the pan with elastic bands and let them have a run in the dish washer. You can imitate this process by hand, which is a bit more careful. Use a kitchen sponge (picture) and dishwasher cleaner. Perfect for fiber/plastic tokens.

Do not use any of the above methods except liquid soap and lukewarm on valuable coins and coins with remaining original metal colour. Neutralise with clean water and dry well after cleaning.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.