India: New Serial Number Pattern on Banknotes

Started by Bimat, June 25, 2015, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Image via Kishore Jhunjhunwala on Facebook. Looks pretty cool. 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

bububoy

Quote from: Bimat on June 25, 2015, 03:50:47 PM
Image via Kishore Jhunjhunwala on Facebook. Looks pretty cool. 8)

Aditya
Wow ! are you serious  :o
looks cool 8) but this is like making mockery of your own currency... >:D
mahe

Bimat

Sorry Mahe, but I'm not sure if I have understood your comment correctly...I don't see anything objectionable in the new serial number pattern..I think many other countries follow the same... ???

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

bububoy

Quote from: Bimat on June 25, 2015, 05:10:11 PM
Sorry Mahe, but I'm not sure if I have understood your comment correctly...I don't see anything objectionable in the new serial number pattern..I think many other countries follow the same... ???

Aditya
sorry for my illiteracy on currency notes, but we seldom see such "abnormal changes" formally implemented by the govt mints in Asia. I did see a couple of years ago some euro bills with some additional art work, this was however done by an artist and not by the ECB.
mahe

Bimat

Quote from: bububoy on June 25, 2015, 05:38:04 PM
sorry for my illiteracy on currency notes, but we seldom see such "abnormal changes" formally implemented by the govt mints in Asia. I did see a couple of years ago some euro bills with some additional art work, this was however done by an artist and not by the ECB.
mahe

Matter of personal taste I'd say...I don't see anything wrong if the central bank is trying something new to make banknotes / coins look better... ;)

Aditya

dheer

Quote from: Bimat on June 26, 2015, 05:46:29 AM
Matter of personal taste I'd say...I don't see anything wrong if the central bank is trying something new to make banknotes / coins look better... ;)

Aditya

Isn't this a type of error. Are we saying all new notes are going to be printed this way?
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Bimat

Quote from: dheer on June 26, 2015, 05:50:17 AM
Isn't this a type of error. Are we saying all new notes are going to be printed this way?

Since Kishore Jhunjhunwala posted this, I believe this change will be implemented sooner or later on all notes. Also, I don' think this is an error, I have seen few other countries where numbers are printed in this fashion.

Aditya

Bimat

Rs. 100 Currency Notes Will Now Come With Extra Security Feature

Thursday, 25 June 2015

Mumbai, June 25:

With an enhanced security feature, currency notes of Rs. 100 denomination would now come with numerals in ascending size in the number panels, Reserve Bank said today.

RBI has issued Rs. 100 denomination banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi Series - 2005 with this type of new numbering pattern.

Now the numerals in both the number panels of these banknotes will be in ascending size from left to right, while the first three alphanumeric characters (prefix) will remain constant in size, RBI said in a release.

"Printing the numerals in ascending size is a visible security feature in the banknotes so that the general public can easily distinguish a counterfeit note from a genuine one," RBI said.

The design of banknotes with numerals in ascending size is similar in all other respects to the current design of Rs. 100 banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi Series - 2005 except for the new numbering pattern.

Further, all the banknotes in the denomination of Rs100 issued by the RBI in the past will continue to be legal tender, it said.

The new numbering pattern will be introduced in a phased manner in all other denominations, RBI said.

Source: Siasat

Bimat

dheer

Thanks ... I initially though this was some kind of error.

Bimat

I don't know how does it add 'additional security' to banknotes...Are these patterns hard to print? Need any extra technology? ???

Aditya

Pabitra

Yes, the number printing machine requires all six wheels to be of different sizes. The printing wheels are high technology ( metallurgically) items.
Also since the wheels are of different sizes, they cannot be on same axis and still present flat faces to gather, this the mechanical design is totally different.

Bimat

Quote from: Pabitra on June 27, 2015, 09:15:46 AM
Yes, the number printing machine requires all six wheels to be of different sizes. The printing wheels are high technology ( metallurgically) items.
Also since the wheels are of different sizes, they cannot be on same axis and still present flat faces to gather, this the mechanical design is totally different.

Thanks! You learn something new everyday... :)

Aditya

dheer

Quote from: Pabitra on June 27, 2015, 09:15:46 AM

Sorry, are numbers still being impact printed? I thought impact printing for numbers was discontinued quite sometime back and its now screen printed?

... Hence if you take the current currency notes and feel the numbers, atleast I don't get an sensation on the back side, where as on older notes I could clearly feel the numbers on back ...

Pabitra

The last time I checked up, I was told that number printer was the main obstacle in going above six digit numbers. World over, many countries have seven digit numbers but countries with impact printers, can not go above six digits.

If this has changed recently, then I am not updated.