Author Topic: Gold on his first try  (Read 950 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Gold on his first try
« on: June 21, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »
John Clemens bought himself a metal detector to relax and keep moving. On his first try, he found three tin cans, seven rusty nails and ... a gold Celt! While the first ten finds are well within the norm, especially for first time detectors, the last item is highly unusual on a first try. Normally, it takes years to come up with your first gold. John found an as yet unidentified gold stater.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bububoy

Re: Gold on his first try
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 05:00:08 PM »
Normally, it takes years to come up with your first gold. John found an as yet unidentified gold stater.
WoW i thought these things happen only in movies..
mahe

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:14:30 PM »
Wow, what a fantastic coin! Did he find it in the UK?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »
It was a solitary find near Eindhoven. The city archeologists says Celts were found in an archeological context (Roman burial ground) before, but this field is in a different place.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:57:56 AM »
Fantastic! And that at Eindhoven, the much-motorwayed city I passed just today and where, correct me if I'm wrong, 2000 years ago the Menapii roamed, the forefathers of British Emperor Carausius.