Day finds last weekend (18/04)

Started by Sheep, April 21, 2009, 03:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheep

The sun was shining, knew a nice place to go and this was the result! Very happy with the late medieval coins (in the left upper corner was a gift from a friend who found it Saturday). The dirty coin is probably silver but (too) hard to clean. And a very nice double mite of Charles the Bold (I think).

All finds can be dated from 1450-1500, but there is 1 exception, a Korte of Philip II dated approx 1550. Funny because there are hardly found things after 1500.
Collecting continental sterling imitations. It can be seen here.

bruce61813

Sheep, if you want to try cleaning the "silver" coin, try mixing 250 ml olive oil with 20 ml of lemon juice. Mix them well, add coin and apply moderate heat. I use the hot plate of a coffee maker. After about 30 minutes you may see the coating start to come off. I have used this on encrusted Roman silver and it does not hurt them, but it is not good for bronze.

Bruce

Sheep

Worth to try Bruce, thanks! (thumbupsmiley)
Collecting continental sterling imitations. It can be seen here.

Figleaf

Great catch! I hope you have another one this weekend. I have a fair idea of what the coins look like, but would still like to see them when they have been lovingly restored to their old luster. As for the objects, I don't get very far as to what they are. How about that ball? Musket?

If you must use lemon juice on billon, please be very careful and make sure you neutralize the acid once you ar happy with the coins. They are at the same time so nice and so fragile. Well, it's not the first time you are dealing with such problems, so I guess you know better than me, but I still couldn't help myself. These are pieces I don't hink I'll ever own.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bruce61813

What Peter said is very true. the mix i suggested is for silver, acids have very little effect on silver, but the results on copper alloys is not pretty, you get a very pink colored raw copper if you are not careful. but on silver, it does a great job.

Bruce