Bath Token 1794

Started by bububoy, June 17, 2015, 07:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bububoy

A recent addition. Though i don't collect tokens, I liked this token for the details on the arrow fletchings and the hair lock ! Any idea as to what this token was used for and was this actually issued in 1794?
Weight-4.63g, 24mm

mahe

Figleaf

Read about the legend of Bladud here. This is DH Somerset 115. It is part of a long series of farthings (like yours) and mostly halfpennies dated around 1794. They were used as official coppers, as there were none available or issued. This was due to a failed experiment of striking full value copper coins that when wrong due to a strong rise of the price of copper owing to the Napoleonic wars.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bububoy

Intresting read, bath is named after its bath !! i did not know that as well ...thanks for sharing.
It says "legendary king", with no historical evidence whatsoever ! The copper shortage you mentioned i guess only impacted only europe ? i ask this because the british empire had copper coins in abundance in their east india company and the dutch ruling in Indonesia imported the copper blanks from Japan !

mahe

Figleaf

It affected only Britain, due to its full value copper coins policy. Copper for the coins of the Asian colonies was no longer available also, but remember that the EIC was a private enterprise. It could strike coins in Asia and use Asian copper (mostly coming from Burma and Japan).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bububoy

thanks peter !! you are a knowledge bank and it is always a pleasure to receive these small 'deposits' by means of these tit-bits of history.

mahe

malj1

See here in the token section for a little more information on this token.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.