Author Topic: Jalal ud Din Muhammad Akbar, Rupee, Urdu Zafar Qarin mint, ND, KM#82.9  (Read 1493 times)

Offline aliqizalbash

• aliqizalbash.wordpress.com
Is it possible to figure out the mint/date for this one?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:36:50 PM by Overlord »

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Jalal ud Din Muhammad Akbar
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »
The mint is Urdu Zafar Qarin (Camp associated with Victory), this is the Not Dated type (much scarcer as the dated coins of this mint).
It's listed as KM#82.9

Offline aliqizalbash

• aliqizalbash.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Thankyou for the attribution, was busy with exams therefore couldn't reply earlier on.

Appreciated.

Regards,
Ali

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »
Thanks Oesho.
And thank you Ali.
I'm having a cup of chai this morning, in the kitchen of my friends in Washington DC, just four blocks from the Capitol dome. What a wonderful coin. The letters are beautifully rendered and deeply cut and I enjoyed looking at it.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
Quite, Rangnath. I was wondering about the deep letters also. In theory, they could have been struck more than once. Imagine the scene, a large wooden block with the die mounted on it. Two hulks on either side with a big hammer and in the middle an agile person holding the upper die, feeding and removing blanks. Swish, there's a blank, thud, the upper die is in place, WHAM WHAM, another coin produced, swiped on a pile with a quick move of the hand. The problem with this scenario is that you'd expect that on some coins, the upper die or the blank would have moved slightly after the first blow, resulting in a double struck coin. In fact, this happens often enough with a single blow. I am not aware of such coins from this area.

I think that instead, the blanks were heated. Here's the alternative scenario: Same block with lower die, but only one hulk and two agiles. The first agile (works standing) picks up a heated die with a tong and places it on the lower die. The second agile (works sitting, hence two agiles) covers it with the upper die and the brute produces a coin. The second sweeps the hot coin in a bucket of water, protecting his hand e.g. with a piece of leather. Since the heat would soften the metal, there would be less double strikes and more relief. Neat theory, but I can't prove it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:03:44 PM »
I like your theory Figleaf, but there is no need for a Hulk. 
In my youth, I once worked as a day laborer.  I weighed barely 60 Kg.  I worked aside Sheldon, whose biceps and neck were all larger than my thighs and who towered over me with menace and ill will.  In order to match and even surpass his production, I had to combine lightening speed with the grace of Nureyev.  I would grab the handle of the sledge hammer, leap in the air, pirouetting just so, using my weight as a lever to lift and swing the massive weight over my shoulders and then use my abs to accelerate the fall of the hammerhead to strike with absolute accuracy the 5 mm target in front of me.  "TAKE THAT SHELDON!" I would yell. 
I suspect that the only reason that Sheldon never killed me was because I wore a tutu to work.
richie