Carthage AR Shekel (BC 300 - 264)

Started by Ancientnoob, June 01, 2015, 07:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancientnoob

I have a special place in my heart for Punic Carthage.  ;D Among my favorites is by far the crappiest of them all. (Conditionally speaking) The coin is old, rare and majestic and it take a lot to look past the scrapes, corrosion, delamination, horning, wear and of course the big 50% crack. There was just enough wrong with the coin for me to afford it and there was enough right with it that I couldn't live with out it.

Africa. Carthage
AR Silver Shekel
21 mm x 6.90 grams
BC 300-264
Obverse: Tanit Left.
Reverse: Horse looking back, Palm Tree
Ref:GC.6491, Cop.141 A.36 pl. 2 Müller108 CNP.166 a
Note: ex Professor J E Seaver Collection.

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

- Publius Syrius

THCoins

I can imagine this coin spoke to you, it has plenty of character !

Afrasi

I can share your love to these coins, and even my coin has a comparable quality. ;-)
But I love it the same way. It lacks the palm, but has a Punic letter below the horse.
It dates from the Libyan revolt 241-238.

Ancientnoob

Excellent addition Afrasi! I can see why you purchased this coin. Holy smokes!!! That Libyan revolt coinage is very interesting and just oozing history all over the place.

- Publius Syrius

Bing

Hey Anoob, just wanted to let you know I'm keeping an eye on you over here.  BTW, nice coin.

Ancientnoob

- Publius Syrius

Bing

Thanks Anoob.  I'm having a difficult time getting used to this format and switching back and forth.

Ancientnoob

Quote from: Bing on June 09, 2015, 03:02:40 AM
Thanks Anoob.  I'm having a difficult time getting used to this format and switching back and forth.

It'll take a couple of days but its easy as pie. I would post the unknown Medieval coin in the Christian Medieval section.

Figleaf here is pretty good at nailing these down.

- Publius Syrius