Author Topic: Canals (includes sluices and floodgates)  (Read 1172 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Canals (includes sluices and floodgates)
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:47:49 PM »
Iraq, 1 dinar, 1977.  Tharthar-Euphrates Canal.

This looks like a dam to me.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Canals (includes sluices and floodgates)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »
In principle, a canal never presumes a dam, but a dam (unlike a dyke) presumes a lake. In practice, anything is possible, as this coin shows. The Euphrates and the Tigris are the only major rivers in West Asia (unless you count the Nile). The Tigris is the more formidable of the two. A number of canals have been constructed across their water-shed, presumably to equalise their flows, perhaps to diversify the political risk of the water flow. The canals in turn feed water basins, that store reserves. I think the construction shown is part of this system, regulating water flow into a basin. If so, the construction may be better described as a sluice.

Nothing is ever easy. I am not sure if there are floodgates on coins, but if there are, the difference between a sluice (regulating water) and a floodgate (keeping water out when necessary) may become subtle. You may want to include floodgates, just to make sure.

Locks, boat lifts (water transportation) and fish ladders (fisheries) are sufficiently different, but I am not sure whether or where where you want to include them.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:42:30 PM by <k> »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »

Oman, 50 baisa, 1990.  20th National Day.  Irrigation canal.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »
I would like one day to own an example of this, as I used to live in the area and indeed worked in the old mill building at Brimscombe Port.

Halfpenny token from Brimscombe Port, near Stroud in Gloucestershire, UK. The tunnel portal is at the Sapperton Tunnel, where the Thames & Severn canal crosses the Cotswold watershed. The canal has been unnavigable at this point for decades; successive generations of engineers have never solved the inherent problem with trying to store water in limestone, that it tends to seep away through the rock, as well as more generally obeying the law of gravity.

Pictures from eBay.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Very nice token. The boat is described in one of the captain Hornblower books.

Maybe somewhat less obvious, according to its designer, the attached coin and other coins from the series show a number of canals, represented by straight lines.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »
Panama, 1 centesimo, 2000.  FAO.  Panama Canal.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »
Naive art or a child's design? Egypt also issued commemorative coins for the Suez canal nationalisation.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:25:25 AM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
Panama, 10 balboas, 1979.  Implementation of the Torrijos–Carter Panama Canal Treaties.

Offline Miner

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
Poland 5 zloty 2015 Bydgoszcz canal

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:31:18 PM by <k> »